VBA to move certain columns from a row to another sheet

smittymj

Hi! I would really appreciate help in building a code that would :

1. In Sheet 1, if any cells in Column E contains the word "Done" it would cut Column C of that row to the last column with data in the same row
  2. Paste the entire row that was cut as values into the next free row in Sheet 2
  3. Then delete the now blank row (entire row) in Sheet 1

Thinking of just assigning the macro to a button but I'd like to know too if macros can be made to work automatically. Thank you!
:)

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
Do you want to paste the row to column A of Sheet2 or to column C?

Upvote 0
I forgot to ask if the last column with data is fixed or can it vary? If it is fixed, what is the last column? If it varies, do all rows end at the same column or does that vary as well?

Upvote 0
I forgot to ask if the last column with data is fixed or can it vary? If it is fixed, what is the last column? If it varies, do all rows end at the same column or does that vary as well?

I pm'd you and wow you even replied before I sent my pm! I'd like to have it pasted started Column A of Sheet 2 and each row may end in varying columns.

I tried recording a macro and came up with this but doesn't really do what I'm trying to accomplish :(

Code:
Sub Macro2()
Cells.Find(What:="Done", After:=ActiveCell, LookIn:=xlFormulas, LookAt _        :=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlNext, MatchCase:= _
        False, SearchFormat:=False).Activate
    Selection.End(xlToLeft).Select
    Range(Selection, Selection.End(xlToRight)).Select
    Selection.Cut
    Sheets("Sheet2").Select
    Range("A1").Select
    Selection.End(xlDown).Select
    Range("A5").Select
    ActiveSheet.Paste
    Sheets("Sheet1").Select
    Rows("3:3").Select
    Range("B3").Activate
    Selection.Delete Shift:=xlUp
End Sub

What could I do with it? :)

Upvote 0
If you want to do this automatically without having to run a macro manually, then copy and paste this macro into the worksheet code module. Do the following: right click the tab for your sheet and click 'View Code'. Paste the macro into the empty code window that opens up. Close the code window to return to your sheet. Enter "Done" in column E of any row and exit the cell. The data in that row will be automatically copied to Sheet2.
Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
    If Intersect(Target, Range("E:E")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    Dim lColumn As Long
    If Target = "Done" Then
        lColumn = ActiveSheet.Cells(Target.Row, Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column
        Range("C" & Target.Row).Resize(, lColumn - 2).Copy Sheets("Sheet2").Cells(Sheets("Sheet2").Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0)
        Target.EntireRow.Delete
    End If
    Application.EnableEvents = True
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Upvote 0
When I tried to make it automatic, it gave a "Run-time error '9': Subscript out of range' and highlighted this line

Code:
Range("C" & Target.Row).Resize(, lColumn - 2).Copy Sheets("Sheet2").Cells(Sheets("Sheet2").Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0)

I also tried using Insert Module. I can't see the macro from the list of macros for both. What am I likely doing wrong?

Upvote 0
Do you have a sheet named "Sheet2"?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smckenzie2016

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back