Vlookup duplicated number and return value that is associated most frequently

Clutch1255

Hello Forum Friends.

I'm sorry to have to ask, but I have exhausted the time I have to search existing threads for the answer I'm desperately looking for. I'm hoping someone can expeditiously return what I feel SHOULD be a rather simple solution.

Ultimately, I need the spreadsheet I'm working on to reflect which doctor (identified by his/her NPI) each patient (identified by his/her MRN) encountered most frequently.

Here's the set-up:

Column A: List of 7000 UNIQUE patient MRNs.

Column B: Currently blank, but will hopefully reflect which NPI each MRN is associated with most frequently in the subsequent table.

TABLE

Column C: MRNs from Column A, duplicated as many times as the associated patient was encountered by one of our affiliated doctors. So if a patient was seen 20 times, his/her MRN will appear in 20 rows.

Column D: The NPI associated with the doctor the patient encountered during each visit.

Here is a fictional example to illustrate the setup:

A) Patient MRNs (Unique List)B) Doctor NPI Most Frequently Encountered C) Patient MRNs (One Row/Encounter)D) Doctor NPI (Encountered During Each Visit)

<tbody>
</tbody>

I'd like to use a simple Vlookup formula, but I can't figure out what I would need to add in order to search for ALL instances of each MRN and return the NPI that's associated the most number of times, rather than just searching for the initial instances of each MRN and returning whichever NPI happens to be associated with it.

I hope this explanation of what I'm hoping to accomplish/what data I have is clear.

Thank you for your time and attention thus far!

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
something like this where you return multiple instances from a single unique value?

Excel 2010
FGHIJKL
45NameLocation
46TorontoJohn Smith
47MontrealJane Smith
48MontrealKaitlin Lawrence
49MontrealDon Harvey
50New YorkConnie DoeTorontoJohn Smith
51ParisCheryl MackenzieMontrealJane SmithKaitlin LawrenceDon Harvey
52New YorkSharon ArgoNew YorkConnie DoeSharon Argo
53LeaveJeff JohnParisCheryl Mackenzie
54SingaporeLori BonnechanceLeaveJeff John
55SingaporeLori Bonnechance

<colgroup><col style="width: 25pxpx"><col><col><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Return Multiple Values

Array Formulas
CellFormula
I45{=IFERROR(INDEX($I$30:$I$38,SMALL(IF($J$30:$J$38=I$42,ROW($J$30:$J$38)-ROW($J$30)+1),ROWS($I$43:I45))),"")}
K45{=IFERROR(INDEX($I$30:$I$38,SMALL(IF($J$30:$J$38=K$42,ROW($J$30:$J$38)-ROW($J$30)+1),ROWS($I$43:K45))),"")}
L45{=IFERROR(INDEX($I$30:$I$38,SMALL(IF($J$30:$J$38=L$42,ROW($J$30:$J$38)-ROW($J$30)+1),ROWS($I$43:L45))),"")}

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
If you are looking for just the one single value as opposed to returning it all as was just posted this would work.
=MODE((INDIRECT("D"&MATCH(A1,C1:C7000,0)): (INDIRECT("D"&MATCH(A1,C1:C7000,0)+COUNTIF(C1:C7000,A1)))))

<tbody>
</tbody>

This formula of course assumes that your list in column C is sorted. Which if its not can be done simply with the filter function so as to keep the proper doctor mrn with the patient.

Also, you will need to change the C7000's to the proper length of your column C.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the response, Shyy.

So, rather than returning multiple values, I want it to return a single value: the single value that is associated with the searched value the most number of times.

Your example differs from mine because each person's name only shows up once.

In my example, the searched value and the associated values could be duplicated multiple times. I want to know which "returned" value each searched value is paired with the most number of times.

Does that make sense?

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Yearnintolearn...I'm so glad that I asked. I NEVER could have cracked that code myself, but based on the tests I recently ran using your formula, it looks like I won't have to!

Awesome and very much appreciated!

Thank you sincerely!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VerifiedBleachersAttendee

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back