vLookup For Cells w/ Date & Time, but Give or Take X Seconds

LokiDucks

Hi All,

I've got a list of times in Column A on Sheet 1 and a list of times in Column A on Sheet 2.

These times are in MM/DD/YYYY HH:MM:SS format

I want to use vLookup for the times on Sheet 2 to look at the list on Sheet 1 and return the Sheet 1 value if a match is found

HOWEVER

The issue is that there SHOULD be a match on Sheet 2 for every value on Sheet 1, but the times can be off by about 5 seconds, making a normal vLookup impossible

So I need to find a way to return matching values give-or-take 5 seconds

Any ideas on how to tackle this?

Here is a Google spreadsheet that might better illustrate what i'm trying to accomplish:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmnlCXlFuNbbdGNMZmZoRE9JX0xFTExzNDV4SFNubHc

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
Hi, I see what you're getting at but no achieve. You can use the TEXT function which has helped me in the past with dates/times and lookups (v or hlookups)
If you cell in A1 is MM/DD/YYYY HH:MM:SS you can place (in B1 for example):
=text(a1,"MM/DD/YYYY/ HH:MM:SS")
OR
=TEXT(A1,"HH:MM:SS"
or any format you would like!
I found that converting to text can make v/hlookups work!
Same with =Text(today(),"DDMMYY") etc
Hope this helps

Upvote 0
Hi Scorpion Steve,

Thanks for your reply! The key portion of the issue i'm having is getting it to look up the value +/- 5 seconds. I can definitely convert to text to make it easier to lookup, but the values would still have to be exact, and I need to be able to account for that slight variance.

Thanks for your input!

Upvote 0
Hi, try this one in cell B2 on sheet 1 and copy down:
=IF(SUMPRODUCT(--(MOD(Sheet2!$A$2:$A$65,1)>=MOD(A2,1)-TIME(0,0,5)),--(MOD(Sheet2!$A$2:$A$65,1)<=MOD(A2,1)+TIME(0,0,5)),Sheet2!$A$2:$A$65)=0,"",SUMPRODUCT(--(MOD(Sheet2!$A$2:$A$65,1)>=MOD(A2,1)-TIME(0,0,5)),--(MOD(Sheet2!$A$2:$A$65,1)<=MOD(A2,1)+TIME(0,0,5)),Sheet2!$A$2:$A$65))

Vidar

Upvote 0
Hi Vidar,

I think that's incredibly close! Ideally, however, I'd be pasting into Sheet 2 and copying down, returning the value from Sheet 1. Would this just be a matter of changing all the "Sheet2" entries to "Sheet1" in the above formula?

Thank you!

Upvote 0
Sorry, read the first post wrong.
Had to adjust the formual. Try this on sheet 2 cell B2 and copy down:
=IF(SUMPRODUCT(--(MOD(Sheet1!$A$2:$A$14,1)>=MOD(A2,1)-TIME(0,0,5)),--(MOD(Sheet1!$A$2:$A$14,1)<=MOD(A2,1)+TIME(0,0,5)),Sheet1!$A$2:$A$14)=0,"",SUMPRODUCT(--(MOD(Sheet1!$A$2:$A$14,1)>=MOD(A2,1)-TIME(0,0,5)),--(MOD(Sheet1!$A$2:$A$14,1)<=MOD(A2,1)+TIME(0,0,5)),Sheet1!$A$2:$A$14))

Vidar

Upvote 0
Vidar,

Thank you! This pretty much works exactly like I need it to. One thing would just make it perfect: Right now, it just looks at Sheet1 cells A2 - A14. This list is going to grow every week, so ideally it would search all of Column A. I edited the formula to change "$A$2:$A:$14" to "A:A" and i've tried "$A:$A" but both of those just return a #VALUE error. Any ideas there? The only fix I can think of would be to change A14 to something like A104000, but I thought there should be an easier way.

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Hi
Try this. The range is dynamic so you can add or delete rows on Sheet1:
=IF(SUMPRODUCT(--(MOD(INDIRECT("Sheet1!$A$2:$A$"&COUNTA(Sheet1!A:A)),1)>=MOD(A2,1)-TIME(0,0,5)),--(MOD(INDIRECT("Sheet1!$A$2:$A$"&COUNTA(Sheet1!A:A)),1)<=MOD(A2,1)+TIME(0,0,5)),INDIRECT("Sheet1!$A$2:$A$"&COUNTA(Sheet1!A:A)))=0,"",SUMPRODUCT(--(MOD(INDIRECT("Sheet1!$A$2:$A$"&COUNTA(Sheet1!A:A)),1)>=MOD(A2,1)-TIME(0,0,5)),--(MOD(INDIRECT("Sheet1!$A$2:$A$"&COUNTA(Sheet1!A:A)),1)<=MOD(A2,1)+TIME(0,0,5)),INDIRECT("Sheet1!$A$2:$A$"&COUNTA(Sheet1!A:A))))

Vidar

Upvote 0
Vidar,

This appears to work perfectly! Thank you! Now I'm going to have to spend some time dissecting it to figure out exactly what it all means and WHY it works. I appreciate all the effort you put in here.

If you have the time or desire, would it be easy to make it return either "YES" if it finds a match or "NO" if it doesn't? I tried adding an overall IF function around the entire thing

=IF([Your Formula],"YES","NO")

But while it did return the "YES" outcome where appropriate, I only received a #VALUE error where I'd have liked it to return "NO".

If you don't feel like continuing to mess with this, that's totally understandable, and I appreciate your effort this far!

THanks!

-LokiDucks

Upvote 0
Hi Vidar,

I think I spoke a little too soon. I was checking the returns a little bit more and I'm noticing that it's basing it's match completely on the time component and not taking into consideration the date component. So when it's looking for a match for "10/29/12 3:35:55 PM" it's finding just the 3:35:55 PM portion in a number of different dates.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back