VLOOKUP Formula works on one sheet but fails on second sheet

MrBrianS

Hello, I have a multi-page workbook. It is an Excel 2010 .xlsx version.

I have a copy of a sheet I'm using for play/work and have a vlookup referring to a a named ranged in a second file that works fine on the original page, but on the copied sheet, the exact same vlookup formula cannot find the value I'm looking for in the external file. There are no macros/VBA code involved, the formula Transitions is unchecked, everything about the two sheets is the same, including the static values and formulas.

Example: VLOOKUP($A2,OTHERFILE.xlsx!namedrange,19,FALSE)

Finds reference and returns value on the first sheet, but not the other.

Thank you

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
Manually locate the value.
Copy the other value into a blank cell.
Do something like

=(A1=B1)

If it returns TRUE then the problem lies with your formula.

Upvote 0
Manually locate the value.
Copy the other value into a blank cell.
Do something like

=(A1=B1)

If it returns TRUE then the problem lies with your formula.

The formula is exactly the same on both sheets...no differences at all, and it's a formula that I use all of the time with no problem. The only "symptom" is that there seems to be a certain row where the formula stops working. It fails down the rest of the sheet in that field.

There are no $set rows in the formula, just looks in a named range in the other file and all the rows above this cell work fine. I've double-checked that the cell that vlookup is looking for in the first parameter is the correct cell also.

Thank you anyway...

Upvote 0
Can yopu post the files?

Attach a sample spreadsheet, remove any sensitive data, create a mockup example if necessary.
You cant attach files on this forum. There are tools on this forum for adding small spreadsheet images

https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/about-board/508133-attachments.html

Or upload the file to an online storage site and post a link to it, though some people may not download the file for fear of viruses.

Upvote 0
No, the named range includes all items in the external file. I'm about to try and post examples...thanks

Upvote 0
Can yopu post the files?

Attach a sample spreadsheet, remove any sensitive data, create a mockup example if necessary.
You cant attach files on this forum. There are tools on this forum for adding small spreadsheet images

Or upload the file to an online storage site and post a link to it, though some people may not download the file for fear of viruses.

I'm hoping that these pictures will suffice since it says not to upload actual spreadsheets.
vlookup_NONworking.jpg

vlookup_working.jpg

named_range_file.jpg

Upvote 0
Can yopu post the files?

Here are the simplified Excel files if anyone wants to view them:

http://www.briansnotes.com/images/named_range_file.xlsx
http://www.briansnotes.com/images/vlookup_file.xlsx

Upvote 0
I don't know if this is any issue, but the Non-Working sheet row 7 MPC does not have a leading 0 and the Working sheet row 7 MPC does have the leading 0. The same item in the third image, named range dal, also has a leading 0. Maybe number/text issue?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That may explain it normally, but does not explain the cells below, and they are Text format. I will check again though...thanks for noticing that.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back