VLOOKUP from External Access Table

mcmullenrich

I am trying to set up a VLOOKUP to a table which is linked to Access. The linked table is a master vendor list which comes directly from our accounting system. I'm using the VLOOKUP in a listing of payments to vendors and I want to be able to only type in the vendor number and have the VLOOKUP provide the name. The formula I used is:

=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(C2,Vendor_List,2,FALSE),"")

When I evaluate the formula, I get an error, as if the vendor number I entered isn't on the list, but it is. If you need more information please let me know.

Also, I did it this way so I could refresh the list periodically to include any new vendors, rather than having to re-export the current list every time.

Rich

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
Is the the first column of Vendor_List sorted? How many columns does Vendor_List contain? What specific error are you getting?

Upvote 0
The first column is sorted (numerically, ascending). There are two columns - Column 1 is the vendor number and Column 2 is the vendor name. When I evaluate the formula, I get a #N/A, which doesn't display due to the IFERROR function.

Upvote 0
Use the formula =TYPE() to test both values you are comparing that you think should be the same. Possibly one is string and the other is numerical while looking the same?

Upvote 0
You're right. The vendor number entered returns "1" from the =Type() function, denoting a number and the vendor number from the table returns "2", denoting text. The problem is, I can't get either one to change so they match up. I tried the Format Cell dialog and changing it from general to number and number to text and a couple other changes - nothing worked. Any ideas?

Upvote 0
Force the vendor number to text by using T() function.

=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(T(C2),Vendor_List,2,FALSE),"")

Upvote 0
OK...I understand what you're doing but here's the weird thing. When I evaluate the formula, the vendor number in C2, converts to nothing - more specifically "". WTF?

Upvote 0
I changed it to:

=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(TEXT(C2,"General"),Vendor_List,2,FALSE),"")

That seems to work. Very strange, but thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it.

Upvote 0
Yeah, T() doesn't work like I thought... Instead try TEXT()

=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(TEXT(C2,"###"),Vendor_List,2,FALSE),"")

We'll get there eventually!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kon123

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back