Vlookup / if / etc help :(

STEVE24

HELLO GUYS, COMPLETE BOG STANDARD EXCEL INTERMEDIATE HERE!

I HAVE AN ISSUE WITH A PROJECT IM WORKING ON, IF ANYONE HAS A SOLUTION PLEASE LET ME KNOW :)

OK I HAVE A DOCUMENT WITH MANY SHEETS, I WOULD LIKE A SHEET TO MATCH TWO CRITERIA OF ITS OWN CONTENT, AGAINST ANOTHER SHEET THAT CONTAINS COLUMNS CONTAINING DATA TO CHECK AGAINST...

ONCE IT HAS FOUND A LINE WITH BOTH THESE CRITERIA MATCHING, IT WILL NEED TO PULL A VALUE OUT THAT IS SITTING A FEW COLUMNS AWAY ON THIS ROW

IVE TRIED VLOOKUP AND SOME IFS BUT IM GETTING NOWHERE!

EXAMPLE BELOW:

JOBTYPEPRICE
AX(FORMULA HERE)
Y(FORMULA HERE)
Z(FORMULA HERE)
BX(FORMULA HERE)

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

THIS IS TO TAKE A VALUE ASSOCIATING TO THE NEXT SHEET:

JOBTYPEPRICE
AW100
AX120
AY50
AZ500

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

THIS SECOND TABLE WILL BE PAGES LONG WITH SEVERAL OF THE SAME JOB NAMES BUT EACH WITH A DIFFERENT TYPE

AM I MAKING SENSE :s

HOPEFULLY SOMEONE CAN COME TO MY RESCUE :)

THANKS

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
Please do not type posts in capital letters - it is the internet equivalent of shouting!

Upvote 0
Welcome to MrExcel.

It would be easier if you repeated the labels in column A, but try eg:

=INDEX(Sheet2!C:C,MATCH(1,INDEX((Sheet2!A:A=INDEX(A$2:A2,MATCH(REPT("z",99),A$2:A2)))*(Sheet2!B:B=B2),),FALSE))

Change the reference to Sheet2 to suit.

Upvote 0
Also apologies for the poor exomple in the first instance...

Thanks Andrew, however i believe my example has put you onto the wrong path, let me rephrase the problem:

So one sheet (which is the sheet that all the other sheets will refer to) will contain all the different 'jobs' eg: named a,b and c
This same sheet will contain all the 'types' against each 'job' eg: named x, y and z

Meaning we have something along the lines of below (but on a much larger scale):

JobTypevalue
ax100
ay50
az85
bx110

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

imagine this sheet contains all the combinations of jobs and types

so on each individual other sheet, it will have just one job, along with each type and their corresponding values

what i require is for the individual job sheets to pull the values from the big main one and allocate them against the correct type

again, apologies because i am really not that great with this kind of stuff, but if the previous answer was correct, virtually slap me through your computer screen. Otherwise let me know your thoughts after a bit more of an explaination (hopfeully) :)

Upvote 0
My formula assumes that the sheet containing all the combinations of jobs and types is named Sheet2 and was intended to fill in the PRICE column in the first table you posted (FORMULA HERE). Did you try it in C2 copied down?

Upvote 0
here is my version of your formula Andrew...

=INDEX(Sheet2!$X$11:$Y$1262,MATCH(1,INDEX((Sheet2!$B$11:$C$1262=INDEX(JEWRY!$B$4,MATCH(REPT("JW2460",10),JEWRY!$B$4)))*(Sheet2!$F$11:$G$1262=JEWRY!C4),),FALSE))

im getting a #n/a in my cell though, copy down also creates #n/a in the other cells

ive changed the name of my master sheet to 'Sheet2' to keep things easy at the moment

the sheet that is to refer to the master sheet 'Sheet2' is called 'JEWRY' hence the name in my version

Any clues as to why its not working for me?

Upvote 0
yes, for some reason the site logged me out and wouldnt let me back in, even after resetting password etc... strange but created a second account to continue communicating about my issue...

the job type and price are using double columns (not sure why, this master sheet is not mine!) - would this pose a problem?

i have now removed all JEWRY references and have come out with this:

=INDEX(Sheet2!$X$11:$Y$1262,MATCH(1,INDEX((Sheet2!$B$11:$C$1262=INDEX($B$4,MATCH(REPT("JW2460",10),$B$4)))*(Sheet2!$F$11:$G$1262=C4),),FALSE))

Still getting back a #n/a in my cell :(

Any other clues Andrew? Thanks for your help so far :)

Upvote 0
Do you really mean two columns or are the cells just merged? Maybe try:

=INDEX(Sheet2!X:X,MATCH(1,INDEX((Sheet2!B:B=INDEX(B$4:B4,MATCH(REPT("z",99),B$4:B4)))*(Sheet2!F:F=C4),),FALSE))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hana2911

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back