VLOOKUP, IF function or any Function: To get value from left Validated cell drop down list & bring whole ROW record at right side.

yousafnoor

Dear Friends,

A: I have a worksheet of " Offshore Weekly Crew Change of Staff". I have all names (40 Names) in the left most column with validated (Drop down list). I need an Excel function to take any value from the left side validated drop down value and bring the corresponding ROW vales at right side. I need to bring 03 values only.

: I also need all staff can fill their names but the formula must remain intact even if some staff put manual value. Actually time to time staff is changing and manual entry is inevitable as well.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
you make a google sheet "in the cloud" and make it open access then anybody on here can look at it

Upvote 0
Thanks

I a now on the corporate PC and cannot access any cloud storage but in town in my off-week, I will post google sheet.
Talking of keeping things simple, the whole point is keeping the things simple and saving man-hours.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
We will get there - before I retired I was a business improvement leader and often instead of modifying a cumbersome system we redesigned it. Could you Email a copy of the sheet to your private email and go from there. If I needed a flight next Monday I would enter my name on the Monday list and the reservation would be made for me - how is it more complicated ?

Upvote 0
Completely failed to put up in a way where you could understand my problem: My fault as a lay man.
Now after beating my un-educated brain cells, it boiled down to:

"Is there a way to put a manual entry in Excel dropdown list in empty cells, while the "permanent drop down list" must not change & also take the manual entry ". I can deal with, then, other Excel functions to bring data relevant to the dropdown recalled entry.

In this way, any new visitor may be booked with all his attributes like his name, company, blah blah....

The moral of story is, some time no enlisted staff available to book, only copter-ful new visitors are booked to visit the station

Last edited:
Upvote 0
if A1 is the drop down, in B1 put =A1 then when drop down is selected B1 will be that selection. Then B1 can be used to fetch that individual's details. If the copter has 10 guests then only 2 additional seats available. Maybe a macro to book a seat then the macro can control the seat issue as you could put 10 in a deeply protected cell so the macro can only assign two seats ????

Upvote 0
No hope I believe!

May be I will have to protect just 1st row of validated cell and hide it to secure the formulae in the next cells of row. If thy delete all entries in a row, I can give password to their senior to unhide the row and copy/paste formula again. and then re-password it. I am sure these dudes (I am one of them of course), will call me 24/7.

Upvote 0
col C1234567
clip_image001.gif

<tbody>
</tbody>
seats avail#N/A01/01/201802/01/201803/01/201804/01/201805/01/201806/01/201807/01/2018
#N/A1alanmikexavierfionalarrynancy
column=#N/A2billnickyolandegarymary
G3colinoscarzackhelen
#N/A4davepetealfiris
#N/A5edquentinbrianjames
6fredrickcedrickeiththis is the macro that handled the booking requests
7georgesamdarren
8harrytomethelSub Macro4()
9ianursuladon'
10joeveronica' Macro4 Macro
11kevinwilliam' Macro recorded 16/11/2018 by bob
12lenboris'
below is the original table before copter bookings listed below'
If Cells(3, 3) > 0 Then GoTo 100
Cells(6, 1) = "no seats available"`
For delay = 1 To 999999999: Next delay: Cells(6, 1) = ""
Cells(1, 1) = "": Cells(1, 2) = ""
1alanmikexavierfionalarrynancy GoTo 500
2billnickyolandegarymary100 Cells(Cells(8, 3), Cells(7, 3)) = Cells(1, 2)
3colinoscarzackhelen Cells(6, 1) = "your seat has been reserved"
4davepetealfiris For delay2 = 1 To 999999999: Next delay2
5edquentinbrianjames Cells(6, 1) = ""
6fredrickcedrickeith Cells(1, 1) = ""
7georgesamdarren Cells(1, 2) = ""
8harrytomethel500 End Sub
9ianursula
10joeveronica
11kevinwilliam
12len
note
adrian01/01/2018was told no seats availableemployees enter the date of their flight in A1
boris02/01/2018was told his seat had been reservedand their name in B1
charlie02/01/2018was told no seats available
don03/01/2018was told his seat had been reserved
philip03/01/2018
graham03/01/2018
joanne03/01/2018
margaret03/01/2018

<colgroup><col><col span="2"><col span="2"><col span="2"><col span="2"><col><col><col><col span="5"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HellScout

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back