VLOOKUP keeps returning N/A Value

HarryWragg1

Hi,

I am currently trying to sync up two sets of data via a VLOOKUP for 15 minute data discharge data and hourly precipitation data using dates and times e.g - 30/06/2007 16:00:00.

When I do my VLOOKUP, the results returned are N/A. However, when I click into and open the date and time cell and then click enter, the VLOOKUP seems to work and then displays the correct number in the cell next to it.

I have checked the VLOOKUP thoroughly and there seems to be nothing wrong with the equation so my only suggestion is that there might be a formatting error?

I checked to make sure there are no extra spaces in the custom date and time format i have both sets of data and they seem to match up perfectly.

Any help would be great.

Many thanks, Harry

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
have you got calculations turned of, enableevents = false, worksheet changes in code

Upvote 0
If you imported or pasted your data from a text source, a common occurrence is that Excel may see the dates in the data as text and not as serial dates. Then if you edit a text-date, that edit (even if you didn't make a change) cooerces it into a serial date and the VLOOKUP formula then can match it.

There are a couple of methods that can coerce all the text-dates into serial dates;

• Select the Dates column and use the Replace feature (Ctrl+H). Replace a / with a / and Replace All
  • Use the Text To Columns function

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back