vlookup question 2

and8eye

Board Regular
sorry for creating another thread but in previous thread i forgot to mention this (i also tried but i failed)

i have these strings:

blah-blah-blahCK-N-blah
blah-blah-blahLX-N-blah
blah-blah-blahXF-V-blah

and i have these "conditions" (2 different's) in "vlookup conditions" sheet:
40738143292_c01ced63f7_o.png

please help me with 2 different codes which:
- if 2 last words of the 3rd block (the block between the 2nd dash and the 3rd dash, from left) are CK (or LX) then 3 (if theyre XF then 4)
- if the 4th block (the block between the 3rd dash and the 4th dash, from left) is V (or N) then 1 (or 2) ---> if its either V or N then nothing show (not error)

thank you all.

Last edited:
Does this work for you then?

Code:
=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(MID(G1,15,2),$S$1:$T$3,2,FALSE),"")&IFERROR(VLOOKUP(MID(G1,18,1),$P$1:$Q$2,2,FALSE),"")

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
Does this work for you then?

Code:
=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(MID(G1,15,2),$S$1:$T$3,2,FALSE),"")&IFERROR(VLOOKUP(MID(G1,18,1),$P$1:$Q$2,2,FALSE),"")

thank you but its not always the 15th or 18th word from left, sometimes it is the 10th, 12th, 13th, ...

Upvote 0
thank you but its not always the 15th or 18th word from left, sometimes it is the 10th, 12th, 13th, ...

But. That's not what you said originally...

OK - Looking at the screen shot you posted, does the "HK" before the CK, LX or XF?

Is there anything else we should know?

Upvote 0
But. That's not what you said originally...

OK - Looking at the screen shot you posted, does the "HK" before the CK, LX or XF?

Is there anything else we should know?

my bad, sorry :(

CK, LX or XF position is always the last 2 words of the third block (between the second dash and the third dash)

*for the V and N things, can it be something like this?
- if string contains -V- then 1, or if string contains -N- then 2, or if string contains neither -V- nor -N- then error

Upvote 0
my bad, sorry :(

No worries - Just try and remember to include proper data samples so people know what they're working with :)

CK, LX or XF position is always the last 2 words of the third block (between the second dash and the third dash)

*for the V and N things, can it be something like this?
- if string contains -V- then 1, or if string contains -N- then 2, or if string contains neither -V- nor -N- then error

Try this;

Code:
=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(RIGHT(MID(G1,FIND("-",G1,FIND("-",G1)+2),5),2),S1:T3,2,FALSE),"")&VLOOKUP(RIGHT(MID(G1,FIND("-",G1,FIND("-",G1)+2),7),1),P1:Q2,2,FALSE)

Any use?

Upvote 0
No worries - Just try and remember to include proper data samples so people know what they're working with :)

Try this;

Code:
=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(RIGHT(MID(G1,FIND("-",G1,FIND("-",G1)+2),5),2),S1:T3,2,FALSE),"")&VLOOKUP(RIGHT(MID(G1,FIND("-",G1,FIND("-",G1)+2),7),1),P1:Q2,2,FALSE)

Any use?

thank you it works but...

with strings like this it shows error:

LF002-ZK-
600WCK-N-HXB-QGM-03
LF002-ZK-
361CK-N-HXB-QGM-03
LF002-ZK-QJCCK-N-HXB-QGM-03

Last edited:
Upvote 0
thank you very much, this works perfectly in excel but when i paste this on google sheets (sorry for not mentioning it earlier), it throws me error :(

[...]

D2, copied down:

=ARRAYFORMULA(LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,SEARCH({"CK","LX","XF"}&"-",REPLACE(A2,1,FIND("|",SUBSTITUTE(A2,"-","|",2)),"")),{3,3,4}))

E2, copied down:

=ARRAYFORMULA(LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,SEARCH({"V","N"}&"-",REPLACE(A2,1,FIND("|",SUBSTITUTE(A2,"-","|",3)),"")),{1,2}))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeVol

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back