VLOOKUP - Stuck on N/A Message

mmdmalta

Hello, this forum has been great. You all helped me with many functions including the VLOOKUP. However, I'm stump on one issue and I need some assistance as to what i'm doing wrong. I was able to get the VLOOKUP function to work perfectly. Now I want to add another VLOOKUP with the column index being different than the first look up. Here is the sceniero. The spread sheet is 8 columns wide, 36 rows.

My first VLOOKUP function worked perfectly. I want the employee to be typed at the top, (look up value is cell K3), I want it to enter the info underneath that cell K4. That worked perfectly with this VLOOKUP formula =VLOOKUP($K$3,$A$3:$H$36,5,FALSE) The description is in column 3.

Now... i want the description of the job as a 2nd lookup function. I put in the exact same formula, only this time I want the description to be typed in and the employee auto populated. The employee is listed in column 1 (basically just reversing description and name).. So when i entered this function and enter the description of the job in K3. I get this message (N/A)

What am i don't wrong?

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
what is the vlookup you are writing for the last bit

Upvote 0
vlookup won't return a value for k8 from k7. the vlookup is looking for k8 as written which would be blank

Upvote 0
i think i'm confusing you as well as my self. Here is what i have Employee: ______ (this is in cell K7 (where my formula is: =VLOOKUP($K$8,$A$3:$H$36,1,FALSE) and where I want to auto populate
Description: _________ this is where I type in the description (this is in cell k8) the employee is located in Cell a (which is the first column) and their are 8 columns. Is it still the same issue.? Value for K8 from K7 won't return?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaagu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back