Vlookup to a closed Workbook via Function / Excel Add-In

DrSKA

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Wondering if anyone could help me out on this one.
I've created the Function below (which I'm using as an Excel Add-in), which looks up a value of the selected cell (SKU) and returns the value it finds in a specific workbook that is stored on a specific location.
Right now this code it is working perfectly as long as I have that workbook open in another screen, but I can't seem to make it work when the workbook is closed.

I'm sure I need to add a reference to the file location somewhere/somehow (C:\Report\Inventory\Inventory.xlsm), but I've tried lots of different things but nothing has been working so far.
Does anybody know how can I make this work without having to open the workbook "Inventory" first?

Function CheckInventory(SKU)

CheckInventory = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(SKU, Workbooks("Inventory.xlsm").Worksheets("Details").Range("$C:$AD"), 15, False)

End Function

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
I don't think VLOOKUP works on closed workbooks. But, Power Query does. If you connect that workbook via power query you can access the data when the workbook is closed.

Upvote 0
Believe awoohaw is correct. However, you could setup your VBA to open the workbook you want to reference and then close it when done.

VBA Code:
Set refwbook = Workbooks.Open(ThisWorkbook.Path & "\Reference.xlsx")

refwbook.Activate

refwbook.Close

Upvote 0
Just a clarification. You can use a VLookup on a closed workbook in the spreadsheet but as far as I can ascertain not in VBA.
Since you are trying to create a function anyway and have access to MS 365 why not use a Lambda function ?
This format worked for me:
(you can do it in one step but I found this easier)

1) Create a named range as follows (you can change the names)
Named Range: GetData
RefersTo: ='C:\Report\Inventory\[Inventory.xlsm]Details'!$C:$AD

2) Create a second named range being your function:
Named Range: LookUpSKU
RefersTo: =LAMBDA(sku,VLOOKUP(sku,GetData,15,FALSE))

Usage
=LookUpSKU(A2)

Upvote 0
Thanks I appreciate the replies!
It looks like the Lambda function is indeed what I'm looking for, I'll give it a try.

Upvote 0
Just a clarification. You can use a VLookup on a closed workbook in the spreadsheet but as far as I can ascertain not in VBA.
Since you are trying to create a function anyway and have access to MS 365 why not use a Lambda function ?
This format worked for me:
(you can do it in one step but I found this easier)

1) Create a named range as follows (you can change the names)
Named Range: GetData
RefersTo: ='C:\Report\Inventory\[Inventory.xlsm]Details'!$C:$AD

2) Create a second named range being your function:
Named Range: LookUpSKU
RefersTo: =LAMBDA(sku,VLOOKUP(sku,GetData,15,FALSE))

Usage
=LookUpSKU(A2)
This is almost perfect, it does work very well, but the lambda is stored only in the specific workbook you've created them in. Is there a way to make it functional across all workbooks? (similar to what the Function does)

Upvote 0
Typically a VBA function is stored in a workbook. You could store it in a personal workbook but then it would only work for you.
How were you planning on making the macro available to all workbooks ?
In the same way you were going to do that you could write a macro that added the Lambda function into the workbook you want to use it in.

Upvote 0
Typically a VBA function is stored in a workbook. You could store it in a personal workbook but then it would only work for you.
How were you planning on making the macro available to all workbooks ?
In the same way you were going to do that you could write a macro that added the Lambda function into the workbook you want to use it in.
Hi Alex, You can save the VBA Function as an Add-In and if you activate the add-in under the "Excel Add-Ins", it'll be active across any workbook that you open.
Indeed I do need to store it locally, but it'll automatically load it in whenever I open an Excel file (any file). (and it only needs to work for me)
It works well, just not with vlookups apparently ;)

I can write a normal macro to do the same (I mean not as a function/Add-in), but I will lose the ability of providing an input/range of where the sku is located that it needs to vlookup.
Since I work with a lot of various request/files from different people, where the data is always in a different format, I thought being able to to provide an input to there the sku is located would be a nice feature. It was more about exploring the Function/Add-in functionality than anything else, just a QoL kinda thing that would make my daily work just a tiny bit easier and faster.
Thanks for your help anyway!

Upvote 0
Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
You can use a macro to add the External Range & Formula to the Name Manager if that is a viable option for you.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigPaws

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back