VLOOKUP to other workbooks/tabs from a cell list

chronotonFlux

I am trying to link several workbooks together so that I may provide my work with an easy way to calibrate tools.

I have the main interface excel workbook which takes user entry and I want it to populate data based on different dropdown selections and I them want to save data to different files (as specified by the dropdown)

We have several scales which each have different properties such as serial number, model etc. I've made a Scales.xlsx file that has a tab for each scale and the tabs are named by scale IDs (ex. SCA-0101, SCA-0102..). I made sure the tabs all share a common template. They all have the same cell locations that I'm going to be pulling data from.

I want excel to generate the data stored in Scales.xlsx[SCA-0101] if the user selects that from the list and so on.

I've tried to specify each scale ID into a list(used for the dropdrown), along with the file/tab path, but VLOOKUP won't work if I attempt to use a cell value instead of the usual range argument.

Could use help.

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
So you want to change the book you are looking in by changing a cell to the book name?

I was able to replicate:
=VLOOKUP(A1,'[Scales.xlsx]Sheet1'!$A:$A,1,0)

By using:
=VLOOKUP(A1,INDIRECT(B1),1,0)

With in B1:
="'"&"[Scales.xlsx]Sheet1'!$A:$A"

Upvote 0
That may work, but that's not exactly what I'm looking for

I have 2 workbooks, Database.xlsx and Computers.xlsx

Database.xlsx has a sheet Lists which has a list of all the devices that are stored in Computers.xlsx
The list has 2 columns (ID, and FileLocation/Tabname)
Computers.xlsx has a sheet for each volume device and they are named according to their ID number AAX01-0001, AAX01-0025 etc..
Each of the Computer sheets looks the same, and stores all the basics of each (manufacturer, model, serial etc...)

I have a drop down list in the Database.xlsx file which has all the computers by ID and what I want is to populate that sheet with the information about each of the computers based on the ID.

I have a cell that's going to be hidden that will act as the VLOOKUP to get the filepath/tab location, but now I want that cell to betaken literally and concatinated with a specific cell location in the Computers.xlsx file.

For example, if the device AXX01-0010 is selected from the dropdown(E6), the nearby cell, H7 displays the path to the file/sheet

E6= AXX01-0010
H7 = VLOOKUP(E6, Lists!B3:C30,2,FALSE)

H7 returns: '[Computers.xlsx]AXX01-0010'!

I want cell J8 to return the manufacturer (which is located at cell D12 in each of the sheets)

I want to be able to do a relatively simple formula such as references the full location and concactinates that with the cell location, such as

J8= H7&D12
but that just returns the full path and cell, without actually going there and grabbing the information.
Instead of getting the manufacturer "Toshiba", I get "
'[Computers.xlsx]AXX01-0010'!"

Upvote 0
Ok,

Trying to test this:

In A2: '[Computers.xlsx]AXX01-0010'!
In B2: =INDIRECT("'"&A2&"$D$12")

Returns Toshiba from D12 in the Computers file, in sheet AXX01-0010

So, I think you need:

=INDIRECT("'"&VLOOKUP(E6, Lists!B3:C30,2,FALSE)&"$D$12")

Upvote 0
Or =INDIRECT(VLOOKUP(E6, Lists!B3:C30,2,FALSE)&"$D$12")

Not too sure how the leading ' acts when the VLOOKUP adds the name

Upvote 0
With INDIRECT all files referenced have to be opened.
I don't want to open the files

I'm basically just trying to do the same thing as ='[Computers.xlsx]AXX01-0010'!D5 does, but break it up in two parts

I've tried putting A1 = "
'[Computers.xlsx]AXX01-0010'!" and calling it back to B1 = A1 & "D5" but all I ever get is EXACTLY that, word for word "'[Computers.xlsx]AXX01-0010'!D5"

I want it to treat A1 as the actual location which it treats it as if I type it into the formula. How do I get it to do that?

Upvote 0
Well if the file isn't open you need the file location also.

Just open the book, point it at that cell and close it to get the path

Upvote 0
I do and it works when it has the full everything hardcoded in there, but if I want it to use information gotten from a cell for part of the address, it just starts printing the full path.

What I want it to do.
="'X:\DATA\Database\[Computers.xlsm]"&H7&"'!$D$12"

Where
H7 is a VLOOKUP of a list of different computers (currently set to: AXX01-0010
$D$12 is the cell location in all the computer sheets that has information required

What should get printed: Toshiba
What gets printed: 'X:\DATA\Database\[Computers.xlsm]"AXX01-0010'!$D$12

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rscraig11

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back