VLOOPUP to compare 2 spreadsheets

Mojosixx

I need to compare 2 spreadsheets and identify the employees missing from one of them. The first spreadsheet is a list of our employees. The second spreadsheet is a list of employees that attended a training in October 2017. Both spreadsheets include the employees unique badge number. Can I use VLOOPUP to identify what employees did not attend?

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
Yes, Just VLOOKUP the all sheet against the attended. N/A's will be those that didn't attend.

=LOOKUP(cell with employee name, column containing employees,1,0)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi there, you could use a VLOOKUP, but personally I would suggest a MATCH function as follows, with red names indicating a cell or range you'll have to enter yourself according to your data:

=IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(badgeNumber,trainingBadgeNoColumn,0)),"Attended training","Did not attend training")

Upvote 0
@Mojosixx

Let column A of Sheet1 the list of employees (badge numbers) and column A of Sheet2 employees (badge numbers) who attended the October 2017 training.

In B2 of Sheet1 enter and copy down:

=1-ISNUMBER(MATCH($A2,Sheet2!A:A,0))

This tags non-attenders with a 1, attenders with 0.

Using VLOOKUP here could be awkward; LOOKUP is not applicable unless Sheet2!A:A is sorted in ascending order.

Upvote 0
@Mojosixx

Let column A of Sheet1 the list of employees (badge numbers) and column A of Sheet2 employees (badge numbers) who attended the October 2017 training.

In B2 of Sheet1 enter and copy down:

This tags non-attenders with a 1, attenders with 0.

Using VLOOKUP here could be awkward; LOOKUP is not applicable unless Sheet2!A:A is sorted in ascending order.

Hi Aladin & everyone offering help,

I tried the above and it indicated everyone as a non-attender (1) although I know 2015 of them attended. I'm sure it's user error but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Upvote 0
Hi Aladin & everyone offering help,

I tried the above and it indicated everyone as a non-attender (1) although I know 2015 of them attended. I'm sure it's user error but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Care to post the formula as you implemented it?

Upvote 0
Care to post the formula as you implemented it?

Here is the current set-up.

Worksheet 1 titled "Employees" is a list of all employee badge numbers starting in A2.
Worksheet 2 titled "Attendance" is a list of the badge numbers for the employees who attended the training, starting in A2 as well.

In cell B2 of worksheet one I pasted the following formula:

Upvote 0
Do you have any trailing spaces or "half spaces"? try =TRIM(A2) on both columns and repaste the data in.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yeti1016

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back