Was needing some help tracking scores on a weekly basis. Should I use Access? Pivot tables? IDK!

ranopano

I need to build a report for my work that tracks the trends of a weekly questionnaire that gets sent out, but I am really struggling trying to develop a way too set this up. Should I use Access? Queries? I don't know!! I know I've probably been overthinking this and there is likely a simple solution, so I was hoping to get some input from yall!

So, the questionnaire contains 100 different questions. All of the questions fall under 1 of 5 different categories or subjects. The questions and categories will always be the same, regardless of the week.

Each week I receive a new report with an average of the score for each question (so say question 39 has a 53% pass/fail score). I currently have about 100 weeks worth of these scores.
See sample tables below to get an idea of what I am talking about:

QuestionIDQuestion CategoryQuestion
1SafetyWhat is your DOB?
2HRWhen were you hired?
3LPWhat is your SSN?

<tbody>
</tbody>

QuestionIDWeek 1 ScoresWeek 2 Scores
112.32%43.23%
232.33%34.43%
325.54%98.45%

<tbody>
</tbody>

DateIDTestIDDate
111/1/15
221/8/15
331/15/15

<tbody>
</tbody>

What I am trying to do is create something (ideally a pivot table/chart) that can track these results a couple of different ways (that's why I was thinking pivot table/chart so I can incorporate slicers). But regardless, I gotta be able to keep track of the date, question, and the scores associated with each date. So I want to be able to say "the results of question 3 increased from January to April" or something. Just a way of tracking the date and scores associated.

What's tripping me up right now is I don't know how to relate the scores to a date. If you see in the 2nd table, I can link the question to a score no problem, but how would I put the DateID in there too?

QuestionIDDateIDWeek 1 ScoreWeek 2 Score
1112.32%?
2132.33%
3125.54%

<tbody>
</tbody>

I suppose I could create a new table for each week's result, but I have so many that I would have 100s of tables!

Anyways would really appreciate some feedback or suggestions in creating something.
THank you!

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
how many weeks?

I'd almost be tempted to store the data in Access, then use excel to select what you want to report on and display

Upvote 0
I have 52 weeks for 2015, plus the ongoing 2016 weeks. So 53 total so far.
Yeah, i like your idea of using access like that. That was my thought as well.
Same question as before though, how would I link the DateID, QuestionID, and TestID? Would each week need to be done a new table? Ideally I'd like to have all weeks and scores on one table just for simplicity, but then I run into the problem shown above with the DateID. I suppose I could also just make one really long table with all 53 weeks worth of scores on one column, but that doesn't seem like the best way to do it!

Upvote 0
a single record for each week so you have your week number / date, then each of the values 1 to 100. Saying that 110 columns by 53 weeks expanding would easily be handled by excel as a flat table, which could as a named range become a pivot. It really depends on the time available and speed required

Upvote 0
Ok, are you talking about something like this:

DateIDQuestionIDScore
1132.68%
272.32%
365.24%
2132.23%
258.65%

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
simpler than that
Excel Workbook
ABCD
1DateID123
232.68%72.32%65.24%
332.23%58.65%
Sheet1

<colgroup><col style="width:54pt" span="4" width="72"> </colgroup>

Upvote 0
Interesting, I like this idea.
Where would the QuestionID play into this though? I need to have the QuestionID, DateID and score all related to one another.

Upvote 0
I thought your questions are the same

so the week value goes in Col A
questions are listed across B1 to BB1 or whatever 100 is
Row 2 to 54 are the results score each week

Upvote 0
Sorry I didn't make myself clear!
I meant that the questions are the same week-to-week, but there are 100 different questions in total.

Thank you for your help mole999! I'll give this a shot and if any issues come up I'll post again.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DEWS2031

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back