Wildcards in a Index(Match()) formula

ah2227

Hi all,

i am working on a spreadsheet with one Sheet of raw data and a second sheet that i would like to have search the raw data, find a first name last name match and then return whatever is in a corresponding cell. i orginally used a Vlookup which worked unless there were any of the same names.

I then tired the following as an array formula - =INDEX('360 Mortgages '!$D$2:$R$2100,MATCH(1,('360 Mortgages '!$D$2:$D$2100='New (3)'!B62)*('360 Mortgages '!$E$2:$E$2100='New (3)'!C62),0),3) which worked, but again only if the names were exact matches. unfortunately some of the names are stored as Name1/Name2. i tried to enter a wildcard function to allow for this as the following - =INDEX('360 Mortgages '!$D$2:$R$2100,MATCH(1,('360 Mortgages '!$D$2:$D$2100='New (3)'!B62&"*")*('360 Mortgages '!$E$2:$E$2100='New (3)'!C62&"*"),0),3) but i keep getting an #N/A result.

My sheets look as follows
The sheet i want to populate is the following. i want the deal end date column to search the raw data sheet for a first name match, surname match and then populate the deal end date if there is on

abc
First namesecond namedeal end date
andrew
smith
3james
jones
4sarahwilkes
5danielsmith

<tbody>
</tbody>

Raw data sheer, column titles are the same
abc
1andrew/lucysmith/smith01/05/2016
2jamesjones
3danielsmith08/08/2018
4sarah/michelwilkes/wood02/06/2017
5gary/laurathompson/scott

<tbody>
</tbody>

This is a simplified version of my workbook however i should be able to apply any answers given

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
Try

=INDEX('360 Mortgages '!$D$2:$R$2100,MATCH(1,(LEFT('360 Mortgages '!$D$2:$D$2100,LEN('New (3)'!B62))='New (3)'!B62)*(LEFT('360 Mortgages '!$E$2:$E$2100,LEN('New (3)'!C62))='New (3)'!C62),0),3)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply.

I have given it a go and there are some cells where the first name being searched isn't necessarily the first name that appears in the raw data cell, so for example we could be search james smith and the raw date would show alice\james. is there anything that can work in this instance?

Thanks again for the reply

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back