Word 2007/2010 Mail Merge to save to individual PDF files

kryptonian

Board Regular
I tried using gmayor's Individual Merge Letters solution but my file only closes without doing anything so I am posting here as a last recourse...

Here's what I want to do --

I'm using Word 2007/2010 mail merge and I want to create individual PDF files. Currently, we do it the long way, saving it one PDF at a time using Save As. This works if it only a handful of letters but it becomes a pain when we're processing hundreds! Data source is an Excel file.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You don't need any code for that; all you need do is define the appropriate mailmerge filters in the mailmerge main document. The links in post 81 (Word 2007/2010 Mail Merge to save to individual PDF files) point to all the code all you need - unless you want to force the user to choose the output folder each time.

Paul, is there a way to specify the pdf quality in this code? I run 1000s of files via this code and they all end up getting saved with print quality (big file size), whereas I just need them with minimal screen viewing quality. I know there are two quality options in Word when we save as pdf, but how do we do that in the code please?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
No. To do that, you'd need to use the ExportAsFixedFormat Method with OptimizeFor:=wdExportOptimizeForOnScreen. For some sample ExportAsFixedFormat code, see post #73 in this thread.

Upvote 0
Thank you for replying Paul, unfortunately I have been using this macro with just a 'copy-paste' approach all these years and it works perfect to this day. I am nowhere close to writing/editing the code myself. Below is the code I use. Would be very grateful if you could help me out.

VBA Code:
Sub merge1record_at_a_time() '
' merge1record_at_a_time Macro
'
Dim fd As FileDialog, vrtSelectedItem, SelectedPath As String
'Create a FileDialog object as a Folder Picker dialog box.
Set fd = Application.FileDialog(msoFileDialogFolderPicker)
With fd
    'Use the Show method to display the Folder Picker dialog box and return the user's action.
    'The user pressed the button.
    If .Show = -1 Then
        For Each vrtSelectedItem In .SelectedItems
            'vrtSelectedItem is aString that contains the path of each selected item.
            'You can use any file I/O functions that you want to work with this path.
            'This example displays the path in a message box.
            SelectedPath = vrtSelectedItem
        Next vrtSelectedItem
    Else
        MsgBox ("No Directory Selected.  Exiting")
        Exit Sub
    End If
End With
'Set the object variable to Nothing.
Set fd = Nothing
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Dim MainDoc As Document, i As Long, docName As String
Set MainDoc = ActiveDocument
For i = 1 To MainDoc.MailMerge.DataSource.RecordCount
    With MainDoc.MailMerge
        .Destination = wdSendToNewDocument
        .SuppressBlankLines = True
        With .DataSource
            .FirstRecord = i
            .LastRecord = i
            .ActiveRecord = i
            docName = .DataFields("reg_no").Value & ".PDF"      ' ADDED CODE
        End With
        .Execute Pause:=False
    End With
    If i Mod 100 = 0 Then DoEvents
    With ActiveDocument
      .SaveAs FileName:=SelectedPath & "\" & docName, FileFormat:=wdFormatPDF, AddToRecentFiles:=False
      .Close SaveChanges:=False
    End With
Next i
Set MainDoc = Nothing
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Upvote 0
Change:
VBA Code:
    With ActiveDocument
      .SaveAs FileName:=SelectedPath & "\" & docName, FileFormat:=wdFormatPDF, AddToRecentFiles:=False
    End With
to:
VBA Code:
    With ActiveDocument
      .ExportAsFixedFormat OutputFileName:=SelectedPath & "\" & docName, _
          ExportFormat:=wdExportFormatPDF, OpenAfterExport:=False, _
          OptimizeFor:=wdExportOptimizeForOnScreen, Range:=wdExportAllDocument, _
          From:=1, To:=1, Item:=wdExportDocumentContent, IncludeDocProps:=True, _
          KeepIRM:=True, CreateBookmarks:=wdExportCreateNoBookmarks, _
          DocStructureTags:=True, BitmapMissingFonts:=True, UseISO19005_1:=False
    End With

Upvote 0
Thank you again Paul, I implemented this and the macro runs perfect, but for some reason the file sizes are the same as before (around 1.5 MB). However, if I manually save as pdf in Word with minimal quality it is showing 800 kb.

Upvote 0
You might try setting some/all of the other 'True' properties to 'False', in case the added metadata is increasing the file sizes. I can't see that making a dramatic difference, though.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fragment

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back