Formula for blank cells

datadummy

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am trying to write a formula that references another tab and pulls that data in, but in the event the tab doesn't have data in it I would like it to leave the destination cell blank. I tried an IFERROR formula but it returned a 0 when there was no data. Please let me know if I can provide any further information.

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
That's kind of an odd quirk of Excel, it will return an empty cell as 0. You didn't say what your formula is, but just add &"" to the end of it, for example:

=Sheet2!A1

change to:

=Sheet2!A1&""

Upvote 0
That will return any value as a string however. If you want numeric data returned, then perhaps:

=IF(Sheet2!A1="","",Sheet2!A1)

Upvote 0
Awesome that did the trick! So I'd like to try and take it a step farther, is it possible to take a cell in the same row as my previous question and reference that cell and then bring in accompanying data within that row?

Upvote 0
Yes, I'm sure that's possible. However, I don't quite see the specifics of your question. Could you give an example of your two sheets, and what data you want brought back?

Upvote 0
On "Data Entry" Tab cell A6 has an entry a number (this was from my initial question). If that cell is populated than I would like to pull specific cells from that row into my destination tab "Stop Light". Below would be the which cells would go where.
"Data Entry" G6 - "Stop Light" B8
"Data Entry" E6 - "Stop Light" D8
"Data Entry" C6 - "Stop Light" E8
"Data Entry" S6 - "Stop Light" I8

If it makes it easier to reorder the Data Entry tab to make them pulling in order that's not a problem this is just the current state. Please let me know if you'd like more information.

Upvote 0
I think you'd just need a formula like this:

In 'Stop Light'!B8: =IF('Data Entry'!A6="","",'Data Entry'!G6)

and the rest would be similar.

Upvote 0
So to clarify in the first set of quotes would I put the value that is in cell A6 or can I leave it as you have it and whatever is in cell A6 will trigger to pull cell G6?

Upvote 0
Try it as written, and whatever is in A6 on 'Data Entry' will trigger whether you get a "" or the value in G6.

Upvote 0
Awesome, thanks!! So another question in trying to evolve this further. Is it possible via a formula to look at values on the Data Entry tab and if the same value populates in column A then reference the one with the newest date in column C and replace that row of data on the Stop Light tab with the most current row of data?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back