Unwanted Lines and Borders Appear on Spreadsheet

plebsareneeded

Here's an irritating issue that has come up in the past few days.

I have a spreadsheet with regular text and dates—no special formulas or formatting. When I double-click on a cell to edit the text directly, it leaves behind a strange border around the cell as well as a horizontal line above the cell that stretches across the spreadsheet. The border around the cell looks a little heavier on the bottom and right sides, which leads me to think it's some feature that I don't know about and can't find easily to deactivate.

The border and line appear on almost any cell I select but the will vanish if I try to adjust the width of the columns or rows or if I scroll far enough down that they are no longer visible. Also, if I switch my focus to another program and come back to Excel, these borders and lines will disappear as well after a time.

This is a real nuisance. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
Welcome to the forum.

That sounds like either a hardware issue, or one of many rendering issues that seem to occur periodically with later versions of Excel. Are you using 2016?

In any event, I'd try turning off hardware acceleration in the Advanced section of Excel options.

Upvote 0
I turned off hardware acceleration and restarted Excel but the problem remained. I'm using Professional Plus 2016. Weird.

Upvote 0
Given that it has only just happened, I'd check what updates have been applied to your machine in the last few days.

Upvote 0
Chiming in to say that I've just had this bug start happening to me too within the past couple of days, as have a number of my collegues. Would love to find out what's causing it and if there's any way to fix it. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling office Professional Plus 2016 but the issue still persists.

Upvote 0
Can you tell me which build number you have?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bushra

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back