Plotting value vs. time every minute when data is available by the second

Gahl42

Hello,

I have a set of data from a real time piece of equipment sampled every 15 seconds. To go along with this I calculate various averages, rolling averages, rates of changes between each sample etc. On of the fields I calculate is an average value by the minute. I.e., I have 4 15 second interval data values I sum up divide by twelve, and put that value out for each whole minute. (Time is provided as actual time of day).

See sample data below (very simplified as many columns are no shown)

TimeRecorded ValueAverage
00:00:0000
00:00:150.5
00:00:301.5
00:00:452.2
00:01:003.5=(0+0.5+1.5+2.2)/4
00:01:153.5
00:01:304.0
00:01:454.4
00:02:005.5=(3.5+3.5+4+4.4)/4
...and so on

<tbody>
</tbody>

I use a scatter plot to plot value over time, no problem.

I then wish to have a separate scatter plot to plot out the calculated average for the last whole minute. This is easy to do if I somehow generate a table only with the times and the associated average. I would however like to do this without doing any table editing or using dedicated tables. (There may be more average like on a 5 minute basis, 15 minutes basis, and hourly basis, that I will wish to plot).

Is there a way I could easily do a plot in just selecting the time column and the average value column and generate a scatter plot? I am not getting any graphs showing up doing so. Is there a way I can signify that only grab every 4th value and ignore rows with empty values for what will be my y-axis?

I should also mention I have several thousands of data points (rows).

Any suggestions appreciated.

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
I had a go and the scatter plot showed exactly what you're after... only data points for where there was a non-blank cell. How do you mean you're not getting any graphs showing up?

Upvote 0
I had a go and the scatter plot showed exactly what you're after... only data points for where there was a non-blank cell. How do you mean you're not getting any graphs showing up?

I see a plot area when doing this in my larger spreadsheet, but no graph is displayed. I've checked the ranges for the x and y axis to the data values, and a graph would fit nicely within the range, and not be hidden for example because of much larger scales than what the data represents.

When I double check the horizontal axis by selecting data source, I only see one x-axis (time) value. Yet the overall data range covers all 8000+ rows, which amounts to several hundred average values. It does not allow me to edit the horizontal axis data range.

I suspect there are some other issues going on my spreadsheet compared to what my simplified example may convey.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Update: I was trying to plot only using straight line graphing (not showing the data points). Turns out I can get the data points to show in scatters that have this as an option, but not lines. I've checked various settings for line color, thickness, transparency etc., but cannot find what I am missing for a setting that would mean that straightline graphing between the data points do not show. (I don't want to see the data points as it gets to be a cluttered view).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back