Open CSV UTF-8 files (no acces to editing BOM)

garbanzhell

Hi,

I am furious that this has to be so difficult.

I am using Office 2016 x64 on Windows 7

I have CSV files that can potentially have multiple language characters in them. They are encoded in UTF-8 and separated by commas.

I want to be able to double click on them to open them nicely and start working (like OpenOffice.org does).

Description

• I got around Excel not understanding commas by changing my whole Windows default separators (which is dumb, but it worked).
  • I though I could get around Excel not understanding the UTF-8 by changing the registry like they explain here. However, that only changes the Default option of the dropdown called "File origin" in the Import method (Data Tab > Get External Data > From Text). While this is a useful step, it still needs me to go through the menu browsing instead of just double clicking the CSV file in the file explorer.
  • I then said frack it and I resorted to create a Macro for which I would put a custom button on the ribbon. I wrote the following macro, making sure to put "Origin:=65001" BUT IT STILL DOES NOT WORK.

Code:
    Sub Open_CSV_UTF_8()

filetoopen = Application.GetOpenFilename("Text Files (*.txt;*.csv), *.txt;*.csv")
       If filetoopen = Null Or filetoopen = Empty Then Exit Sub

Workbooks.OpenText Filename:=filetoopen, _
       Origin:=65001, DataType:=xlDelimited, Comma:=True

End Sub

When I click my custom button, a dialog box appears to select the CSV file I want to open. I select it and voila it gets opened (alas, to a new file, insted of imported to the current blank workbook) but the characters are still scrambled. Obviously Workbooks.OpenText does not work.
  • I noticed that maybe I could create a macro that would import the data (the the current document) by adding a connection to the file and creating a table from that connection, however,
    I do not know how to create a macro that would open a dialog box for me to select the file.

Questions

1. Is there a way to change the Registry for the opening (and not the import dialog) of CSV files?
  2. If not, is there a way to make my first Workbooks.OpenText macro to work as expected (Origin:=65001)?
  3. If not, could yo help figure out a VBA macro for making a connection and open up a dialog box to browse for the CSV file?

Thanks a bunch!!

Cross-posted: https://chandoo.org/forum/threads/open-csv-utf-8-files-no-acces-to-editing-bom.36165/

Last edited by a moderator:

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
It annoys me no end that Excel does not transparently open utf-8 files and then insists on calling utf-16 Unicode.

This might work well enough for your third option without VBA. From the Excel ribbon, select Data >> Get External Data >> From Text.

I didn't have a multi-language csv to try but Marcus Kuhn's example file, from https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ucs/examples/UTF-8-demo.txt, opened and the text was not mangled. The Math symbols were out of alignment using Consolas as the font and there was only a minor glitch with the box drawing figures.

I also opened a Chinese poem, encoded as utf-8, using the same method. The poem I used was from http://www.humancomp.org/unichtm/maopoem8.htm.

Another thing to try is to copy the csv and add ".txt" as the final extension: "somefile.csv" copied to "somefile.csv.txt". Then use "Open with..." from the file Explorer right-click menu to open with Excel.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandan4057

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back