Refreshing Pivot Table displays error msg ... "PivotTable report cannot overlap another ... "

bisel

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Greetings,

Need some help.

I have read through various posts and did several searches on the error message ... "A PivotTable report cannot overlap another PivotTable report". I think I understand the concept of this message, but there is something very strange going on with my workbook.

I am using Excel 2010 on a fairly large workbook. The error I get is after I insert a PivotTable and attempt to refresh it. The data that I selected for the PivotTable is in form of a table, not a range ... however, I have used tables in other workbooks without any problem. The PivotTable in question is the only pivot table in the entire workbook, let alone on the particular worksheet. I have tried deleted the sheet and then re-inserting a PivotTable on a new sheet ... same error.

As a test, I selected a different table to use as a data source and insert a PivotTable ... no problem. Refreshing the PivotTable does not result in an error ... only with one specific table. I tried to rename the table ... same error. Then I changed the table to normal range. Now I selected the range as the data source for new PivotTable, and after created the PivotTable I can now refresh it without any error. But in my application, I need the range to be a Table so it automatically expands with new entries.

Ok, so I delete the sheet and the resulting new PivotTable and go back and using the normal range, I select the entire range and then insert a table with headers. Excel gives this table the generic name, "Tablexx". I changed the name to something that I prefer. I now, went in an inserted a new PivotTable on a new sheet using the name of this table and now everything is working fine. I can refresh the PivotTable without any errors and I have the data source formatted as a table so I it automatically expands with new data entries.

Although I seem to have found a solution, what bothers me is that I have not discovered the underlying cause. Does anyone have an explanation for this? Just curious at this point as I do not have an issue right now.

Thanks,

Steve

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
Hi Steve,

I'm having (and have had) a simular problem. I have many pivots on different sheets and get this message. (I have checked each and every sheet, I have no idea which one(s) are causing the message but worse I' don't know if the data in the table is affected.

If you ever find out, please let me know.

Chris

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erald

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back