Unique Vlookup with Static Table Array but Dynamic Cell Values - Problem

NegativeKurtosis

Hello Everyone ! Hoping some of the brilliant, creative minds here can offer some suggestions.

I'm working on an assignment and having a great deal of difficulty finding a solution that works. Here is the situation :

I have a dynamic sheet that updates every hour via a web query. I have 2 VBA macros that handle "updating" the columns within the range $I$4:$O$517 with the web query data as it comes in. The TABLE ARRAY RANGE itself DOES NOT CHANGE. I have found a hundred examples on line that explain how to handle dynamic table arrays or dynamic column index numbers but nothing on how to deal with a table array that remains static but has it's values INSIDE that table array changing. The problem is that when the data is changed within the table array $I$4:$O$517 .....ie from the web query update, my Vlookup formula does not work. Nor can I get an index / match or vlookup / If / offset / counta combination formula to work either. I want to have faith that this is not some obscure method for which a creative nested formula can't be created. I have scoured the Forum, Google, as well as manipulating the aformentioned functions a dozen different ways but always end up with an NA error.

Here is my current static formula :

=IF(Q517>0,VLOOKUP(Q517,$I$4:$O$517,7,FALSE),VLOOKUP(Q517,$AB$4:$AH$517,7,FALSE))

I am dealing with positive and negative numbers, hence the >0 reference which checks two different table array ranges and determines which one to obtain the desired value from. I need to be able to obtain the CELL'S VALUE that I get with the static Vlookup formula with a dynamically updating Vlookup formula ( or some derivation of it ).
My lookup value is : Q517 ......this value gets updated every hour, but once this becomes dynamic ( ie....once the web query starts, the vlookup stops working and all other derivations of it). As mentioned previously I have created many combinations of If / Offset / Counta / Index / Match / Vlookup but to no avail.

Any suggestions or insights would be greatly appreciated.

Richard

dnorm,

Do you know if it is possible to combine / compare these two arrays ? If so, how ?

=IF(S516>0, INDEX($O$4:$O$517,MATCH($S$516,$I$4:$I$517,1))) / =IF(S516<0, INDEX($AH$4:$AH$517,MATCH($S$516,$AB$4:$AB$517,1)))

So that depending on whether or not S516 is greater than or less than zero the results will go to the appropriate column / row array.....ie...$I$4:$I$517 ( for greater than zero ) or to $AB$4:$AB$517 ( for less than zero ) ?

Richard

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
Sorry for the very late reply, I didn't get an update about your last comment/ request.

Ill look into it and get back to you.

Could you email me the file dnorm_i@hotmail.com

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bsb1122

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back