MS Excel behaving unusually

jacobrcotton

Board Regular
Hey Everyone,

So I've got an unusual problem with MS Excel that seems to be happening to (1) only me and (2) all spreadsheets that I open.

(1) Every time I enter text into a cell, Excel will automatically insert "^" at the beginning of that text. For instance, in a header row I would normally enter "Date of Birth", hit tab to the next column and continue on my merry way. However, now when I enter "Date of Birth" and hit tab, when I go back to that column the cell entry is "^Date of Birth". And this is happening every single time I enter any text.

(2) Additionally, every time I click on a cell adjacent to a hidden cell, that hidden cell will automatically unhide itself. For example, if Row 23 is hidden and I click on cell J24, automatically all of Row 23 unhides itself.

(3) Last symptom I've noticed is that when using Ctrl+Arrow to move quickly around the spreadsheets, this is no longer taking me to the "end" or "to the last cell". It's now only taking me a fixed 27 columns or 27 rows. This is the case even when I have moved well beyond where I have data stored in columns or rows.

I know that this is a symptom of my laptop only, as (1) it is happening to all my spreadsheets and (2) I can work on the spreadsheets on someone else's computer and these problems do not exist.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on here?

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
Open the Excel options, select the Advanced section, scroll down to the very bottom and uncheck any Lotus Transition settings that may be checked.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peppernaut

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back