Macros for calculating the difference between two dates and getting the result in minutes

karthik_kaliappan

Board Regular
Hi,

Do we have formula which counts the difference between two time sets and the results should be in minutes, it also should consider the weekends? To give you more perspective, we run a 24X5 support center and need to count the mins taken by the associate to respond to a customers query.

I have service ticket received time in mmm/ddd/yyyy hh:mm format in column G and service ticket assigned time in the same format in column K. I need to find out the difference between the two dates in minutes and also consider if there is weekend (sat and sun) between. I know that we can use a simple formula to calculate the difference between the dates however my other condition of weekends is not working out.

Currently I am using this =(K2-G2)*1440 formula to calculate the difference and manually considering the weekends. I also considered networkdays(start_date, end_date)*1440 but yet the result was not accurate. May be it needs ta macro or a different formula all together.

Thanks,
Karthik

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
Hi,

Do we have formula which counts the difference between two time sets and the results should be in minutes, it also should consider the weekends? To give you more perspective, we run a 24X5 support center and need to count the mins taken by the associate to respond to a customers query.

I have service ticket received time in mmm/ddd/yyyy hh:mm format in column G and service ticket assigned time in the same format in column K. I need to find out the difference between the two dates in minutes and also consider if there is weekend (sat and sun) between. I know that we can use a simple formula to calculate the difference between the dates however my other condition of weekends is not working out.

Currently I am using this =(K2-G2)*1440 formula to calculate the difference and manually considering the weekends. I also considered networkdays(start_date, end_date)*1440 but yet the result was not accurate. May be it needs ta macro or a different formula all together.

Thanks,
Karthik

Can anyone please help?? Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
Hi Karthik,

Try this formula. It assumes the entries in columns K and G are always Monday-Friday. If a Saturday or Sunday entry is made, the result will be incorrect.

=(K2-G2)*1440-2880*(TRUNC((K2-G2)/7)+((WEEKDAY(K2,2)-WEEKDAY(G2,2))<0))

Upvote 0
Here's a version that uses NETWORKDAYS, which might be better if you need to add holidays.

= 1440*( (K2-G2)-(TRUNC(K2)-TRUNC(G2)+1-NETWORKDAYS(G2,K2))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peppernaut

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back