Change in Drop-Down List = Change in Value?

PGrabiec

Hello,

I am planning a prom on Excel and I must calculate all of the costs of the prom.

I am trying to create a drop-down list which features all 3 available prom venues that can be selected. Upon changing the venue, I would like it to also change the price in the cell next to it. Basically if I select Venue X it should cost $40 and if I select Venue Y it should cost $80.

Would this be possible?

Thanks,

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
Hello, I am planning a prom on Excel and I must calculate all of the costs of the prom. I am trying to create a drop-down list which features all 3 available prom venues that can be selected. Upon changing the venue, I would like it to also change the price in the cell next to it. Basically if I select Venue X it should cost $40 and if I select Venue Y it should cost $80. Would this be possible? Thanks,
If B1 is the cell where you want the cost and A1 is the cell where your selections are, enter this formula in B1:
Code:
=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(A1,{"Venue X",40;"Venue Y",80},2,FALSE),"")
For additional venues/prices: enter the venue first in quotes, followed by a comma (,) and then the price. Separate each grouping by a semi-colon (; ).

ABE: I see you were also asking about making the drop-down list; select cell A1 based on my example above and click the Data tab; click data validation; select List; enter your values without quotes separated only by a comma (,): Venue X,Venue Y,Venue Z

https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...to-cells-29fecbcc-d1b9-42c1-9d76-eff3ce5f7249

Last edited:
Upvote 0
First, I created this table (named tblVenues):
VenuesCost
Alpha40
Bravo80
Charlie100

<tbody>
</tbody>

Then I assigned the name LU_Venues to the first column of that table

Next, I set up a data validation in cell B3 that references the LU_Venues list

Last, I put this formula in C3:
Code:
=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(B3,tblVenues,2,0),"<-Select venue")
Is that something you can work with?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwdbActuary

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back