Format duplicate values except the first instance

Fern1879

Hello. Hoping someone can help. I've been searching online for the answer to my question, but so far, I've not come across anything. I have a list of about 600+ account numbers. Many of these numbers are duplicated and the list is sorted by account number. I want to create a conditional formatting formula that highlights the duplicate numbers, but only the 2nd or 3rd, etc instance of that account number. Not the 1st instance. I am using:

COUNTIF($K$2:$K2,$K2)>1

I applied the formula to the entire column and the result is that it is using my format on #1 and 2 below, and I would like to format #2 and 3 instead. I also tried applying it to one cell and copying the formatting down, which didn't work at all. What am I missing?

1. Account#1 23456
2. Account#1 23456
3. Account#1 23456

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
I am using:

COUNTIF($K$2:$K2,$K2)>1
If you highlighted the WHOLE column before applying that formula, it won't work right. When applying Conditional Formatting to a multi-cell range, you need to write the formula as it applies to the VERY first cell in your selected range. Your first cell would be K1, not K2. So your formula should be:
Code:
[COLOR=#333333]=COUNTIF($K$1:$K1,$K1)>1[/COLOR]
Don't worry if your first row has headers. That formula won't highlight them (as if you are only looking at one cell, you cannot have a count of 2!).

Upvote 0
There doesn't seem to be any issue with that formula. It is working for me.

Edit: Applying the CF rule to the entire column seems to be the issue. You must apply it to only the used range. Or, as Joe pointed out, change the formula to work from K1 instead of K2.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you both so much. I changed the formula to reference K1 and only the used range. Works exactly as I wanted it to now! :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back