How to average a specific entry

billsyr814

I have a large spreadsheet with 20 or 30 different entries. I would like to create an average for each entry to use when that particular entry comes up as a new item. For example if I had a long list of fruit and I was going to enter another Apple I would like the spreadsheet look up all the apples and give me an average weight any suggestions on how to create this thank you

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
I'd probably "cheat" by putting a formula in the weight column to calculate the average when you enter the fruit .... then overwrite it if needed ... this is a messy solution as it requires the column to be populated ahead of use but should give the result you want.

=IF(A9="","",SUMIFS(B$2:B8,A$2:A8,A9)/COUNTIFS(A$2:A8,A9))

This is an example I used to check it works .... but I am sure someone will be along to explain how to do it with a change procedure

Upvote 0
I did similar to WaterGypsy and used a simple approach. Let say you have columns A through E with Fruit, Quantity, Unit Weight, Total Weight, & Historical Unit Weight. Columns A & B are obviously just input and C & D could be done either way whether you weighed individually and average or weight a bag of 10 and averaged it to get the unit weight. Sorry, I'm just trying to make some assumptions here so I can setup a sheet and formula.

Cell E2 Formula =SUMIF(A:A,A2,D:D)/SUMIF(A:A,A2,B:B)

Basically just sum the total weight and divide it by the total units.

Upvote 0

client
total exam time
aver time for this exam
start time
Actual end time

actual length of exam
ESTIMATED END TIME
NYS TEACHERS
4:30
3:0
8:00
10:30
2:30
11:00
NCLEX
6:40
2:40
7:50
9:00
1:10
AAMC
7:30
8:21
14:3
:09
NCLEX
? (Based on all previous NCLEX exam in db

need formula here
8:00
---
---
avr test time added to start time

<tbody>
</tbody>
I did similar to WaterGypsy and used a simple approach. Let say you have columns A through E with Fruit, Quantity, Unit Weight, Total Weight, & Historical Unit Weight. Columns A & B are obviously just input and C & D could be done either way whether you weighed individually and average or weight a bag of 10 and averaged it to get the unit weight. Sorry, I'm just trying to make some assumptions here so I can setup a sheet and formula.

Cell E2 Formula =SUMIF(A:A,A2,D:D)/SUMIF(A:A,A2,B:B)

Basically just sum the total weight and divide it by the total units.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I created a spread sheet above to help demonstrate my exact problem.
What I do now is data sort by exam and manually find the average exam length.

Looking for a formula to do that for me.
Thanks

/bill

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KMGLarson

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back