Linking cell to table data

dancingdaisy2

I have a spreadsheet that on the first sheet shows a list of classes down the right column and a list of instructors across the top row. X's are placed in the corresponding cell for instructors that are qualified to teach that class.

Second sheet has a table of classes, instructors and their training progress (it is a three-step process to become qualified to teach each class). This is used to show reports of how many instructors are in what phase of training for particular classes.

My question is if there is any way to link the cell with the X so that if you double click it will pull up the corresponding record of training progress for that individual instructor and class from the 2nd spreadsheet. Previously this has just been tracked using comment boxes on the cells, and I'm wondering if there is a way to simplify so the same data doesn't have to be recorded in both places. My initial thought was to create a form for each cell that the data could be entered in to and would populate in the table on sheet 2, but I'm still pretty new to the more advanced working of excel and have not been successful in making this happen.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Cora

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
Hello,

Your question is rather generic ...

You could use an event macro called :

Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean)

Hope this will help

Upvote 0
Sorry for any vagueness.

Essentialy I am looking to double click a cell to pull up a specific table record. If I double click cell B2, I want it to always pull up the data from row 3 of the table on the 2nd worksheet (I'd love it to pull up in a dialogue box or in a pop-up form format, but I'm fine with it just taking me to the table record directly). I have 55 instructors and 36 courses, so each cell would be linked to a different line of data on the table.

I was successful in getting a form to pop-up on double click to enter the data into the table, but that seems to be a one-way street for data entry and doesn't recall the info entered or associate it with the cell that was clicked on.

Upvote 0
Hello,

Let me confirm to you ...Excel can handle a ' two - way street ' ... :wink:

Why don't you post your event macro ...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BBV123

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back