VBA Question for Pivot Table from Data Model with Specific Range

c_wag03

I am on Office 365 running 64 bit Excel, version 16.0.9126.2336 on a Windows 10 machine

I am trying to understand the behavior and related VBA properties for a pivot table when I select a regular range of data on a sheet, then go to Insert>PivotTable, and choose the "Add this data to the data model" option. Once I do this, from a GUI perspective the PivotTable that is created appears to have a data source of a workbook connection that gets created referencing the specific range I selected. The connection is named something like "WorksheetConnection_Sheet1!$A$1:$C$9" depending on the sheet and range selected (this is what you see if you go to the Analyze tab in the PivotTable Tools section of the ribbon and click Change Data Source>Connection Properties).

However, from a VBA perspective, looking at the PivotTable and related PivotCache objects, I can't find any reference to this specific connection or the specific range I selected. Because of the "Add to data model" option selected the data source in VBA is a connection called "ThisWorkbookDataModel" which is shown in the WorkbookConnection property for the PivotCache object in VBA. However, I don't see that from a GUI perspective related to the PivotTable, except for if if I go to the Queries and Connections pane, and right click to see the properties of the the "ThisWorkbookDataModel" connection, the pivot table is shown on the "Used In" tab for that connection (it is also shown this way for the other workbook/range connection).

So, it appears that creating a PivotTable this way creates two different connections, and the PivotTable is somehow using both of them? In VBA all I can really find reference to is the data model connection. How can I get information related to the the workbook/range connection that also got created?

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tanne

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back