Workbook VERY slow to open

SBF12345

Greetings,

I have a workbook that is very very slow to open.

The details:

The workbook is very similar in structure to other workbooks that don't share this "slow to open" issue.
The workbook has quite a few formulas built into the sheet.

Not sure how to proceed...:eek:

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
Is the file much bigger than the others?

Use the scroll bar to see if the used range has extended to the bottom of the sheet accidentally.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
How long does it take ?
Do you have links in the file?
Is there a workbook open macro in the file ?

Try saving the file as an .xlb file extension !!

Upvote 0
It may just be calculation time slowing things down. Here's a test for that:
1. With your workbook closed, open Excel (new workbook).
2. On the Ribbon, Formulas>Calculation>Calculation Options>Manual
3. Now open your workbook. Is opening time significantly shorter?

Upvote 0
I changed the calculation options to manual and it does seem to open more quickly. I am still having trouble though...when I run code using the workbooks that were difficult to open initially I am observing "task panes" that are blank, that is the frame of the window is visible, but there are no contents (i can see through the frame to the open workbook behind it. What is the nature of the error in this case. I haven't observed this behavior from excel previously.

Upvote 0
Update...

I am trying to open a series of workbooks to run code. The code interacts with multiple workbooks. I have tried to open these workbooks in different orders. The end result seems to be an error message on or before the last workbook (to complete the code running task) is finished opening. The error itself reads " 'filename.xls' cannot be accessed. The file may be read only, or you may be trying to access a read only location. Or, the server the document is stored on may not be responding". The workbooks that prompt this message are stored on my computer. Anybody received this error before?

Upvote 0
Update...

I am trying to open a series of workbooks to run code. The code interacts with multiple workbooks. I have tried to open these workbooks in different orders. The end result seems to be an error message on or before the last workbook (to complete the code running task) is finished opening. The error itself reads " 'filename.xls' cannot be accessed. The file may be read only, or you may be trying to access a read only location. Or, the server the document is stored on may not be responding". The workbooks that prompt this message are stored on my computer. Anybody received this error before?

Have you gone to Data, Edit Links to see if you need all the workbooks that it might be linked to?

I would save a copy of your workbook try to edit the links that may help your performance issue.

If you are on your computer and you are not tied to your computer network at work, then you will need to get a copy of all those workbooks and save them somewhere on your computer while you are testing at home.

I have had to deal with this issue several times. I hope this helps.

Upvote 0
I am using Excel 2003...I don't think I have this functionality in this later version. I think it may have been introduced in 2007

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dsharae57

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back