Adding increment of 1

Damian37

Office Version
  1. 365
Hello everyone,
I have a document that is a job tracker in which different people can go in to in order to add suggestions to the tracker. I would like to leave the initial A column blank until data is entered into any of the cells within the range of B:L. Currently I have added A1+1 within cell A2, but I would like to create a formula that would leave the A column blank until data is entered in to a new row within any of the cells in range B:L, and then add 1 to the number identified in the previous row within column A. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

D.

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
So, what Exactly is

A header label of #.

We need to know Exactly what is in A1, and how it gets there ( manual input, by formula, import, etc. ).

Upvote 0
So, what Exactly is

We need to know Exactly what is in A1, and how it gets there ( manual input, by formula, import, etc. ).

It's a manual entry of "#" character to capture list of line numbers for tracker sheet. So A2 would have a manual entry of 1. I'm looking for a formula that will leave this column blank until data is entered within any cells of the columns B:L. Thank you very much for your assistance!

Cheers!!!!

D.

Upvote 0
If your First numeric entry is in A2, then you need to put the formula in A3 copied down, and change the range reference starting at row 3, like below:

=IF(COUNTA(B3:L3),A2+1,"")

or

=IF(COUNTA(B3:L3)=0,"",A2+1)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back