Compare two columns and highlight the differences. Not using VBA code please

John Louis

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,
i have two columns in my workbook AC & AD data starting on row 3. what I would like to do is have excel look at column AC and compare it to column AD than have the alphanumeric string that isn't found in column AD and highlight it bold or color the string.below is copied from my tracker and I manually highlighted the missing string in column AC that was not found in column AD to give you a visual of what I'm trying to do. Thanks much.

Column AC
Column AD
NOTES
PM
ED
Note: My data is in columns
AC and AD and starts on Row 3
UNL24131R, UNL04131, NYJAU4131
NYJAU4131, UNL04131

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
I don't believe there's a way to apply formatting to a partial string in a cell, except through VBA. If you have Excel 365 with the TEXTJOIN function, you could try adding this formula in AE3:

=TEXTJOIN(",",TRUE,IF(ISERROR(FIND(TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(AC3,",",REPT(" ",200)),{0,1,2,3,4}*200+1,200)),AD3)),TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(AC3,",",REPT(" ",200)),{0,1,2,3,4}*200+1,200)),""))

This will create a list of strings from AC3 that do not appear in AD3. It will work for up to 5 strings in column AC, but can be easily raised by changing the array constants.

Upvote 0
Hi Eric,
This seems to work perfectly!!! could I ask you how to change the array constants up to 15? Or you could update the formula in your original post. again Thank you so very much!! John

Upvote 0
Thank you Sandy! Looks like Eric was able to help me out. I appreciate you looking at this for me...John

Upvote 0
This should work for up to 15 segments:

=TEXTJOIN(",",TRUE,IF(ISERROR(FIND(TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(AC3,",",REPT(" ",300)),{0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14}*300+1,300)),AD3)),TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(AC3,",",REPT(" ",300)),{0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14}*300+1,300)),""))

I also raised the space value from 200 to 300 just in case. If your values average more than 10 characters each, you may need to raise that some more. You can also use this version of the formula which is slightly shorter:

=TEXTJOIN(",",TRUE,IF(ISERROR(FIND(TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(AC3,",",REPT(" ",300)),(ROW(INDIRECT("1:15"))-1)*300+1,300)),AD3)),TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(AC3,",",REPT(" ",300)),(ROW(INDIRECT("1:15"))-1)*300+1,300)),""))

but you'll need to enter this version with Control+Shift+Enter.

Upvote 0
Thanks again Eric! I will run this tomorrow when I get to work. I really appreciate your help getting this working I was told it couldn't be done unless you used VBA code. Thanks John

Upvote 0
Hello,
How it would be with VBA

I have 2 Worksheets ("Old" , "New" ).

I want to compare two columns of different worksheet

I want to highlight the cells on the column A of worksheet "New" the missing values from the column A of Worksheet "Old"

I am facing the following code:

Dim lastRow As Integer
Dim rng As Range
lastRow = Sheets("New").Range("A:A").End(xlUp).Row

For i = 1 To lastRow
Set rng = Sheets("New").Range("A:A").Find(Sheets("Old").Range("A2:A10000")
If rng Is Nothing Then
Sheets("New").Cells(i, 1). Interior.Color = RGB(250,0,0) 'I just want to highlight the cell on the column A ,is correct?
End If
Next

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snoom82

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back