Populating Cell Using Other Cell Data

MDean3313

I am trying to populate a new column using number values from another, as seen bellow.

The middle column is what the left column should look like, but with a formula. Here is the formula I have come up with for the left column:

=IF(AND([@[Wattage (bulb)- Number Value Only]]<33,[@[Wattage (bulb)- Number Value Only]=]=>1),"T8","T12"),IF([@[Wattage (bulb)- Number Value Only]]=0,"","")

Essentially, if the right column is less than 33, I want the left column to say "T8", if it's greater than 33, I want it to say "T12" and if the right column is a zero, I don't want the left column to list anything. Is there an easy fix to my formula, or do I need to completely alter it?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by a moderator:

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
Hi,

This should work for you, I have assumed at 33 you want "T12":

Code:
 =IF([@[Wattage (bulb)- NumberValue Only]]=0,"", IF([@[Wattage (bulb)- NumberValue Only]]>=33,"T12","T8"))

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you very much, it was a success. However, I did post one more thing, hopefully you can help:

Hi everyone,

I am currently using this formula to populate cells, based off of another cells value:

=IF([@[Wattage (bulb)- Number Value Only]]=0,"", IF([@[Wattage (bulb)- Number Value Only]]>=33,"T12","T8"))

This formula only looks at the numerical value of one column in order to populate another. However, I want the formula to also determine if the new cells should be populated based off of a second columns values. I want the formula to look at the numerical value as it does now, while also looking to see if the "Baseline Action Code" column starts with an "M". If it does, I don't want it to list anything, just a "" value in the new column.

Here is what I was thinking, but it doesn't seem to work for me (I know formatting of the LEFT statement is incorrect, I just need help with it). I'm assuming I need an "AND" function but I'm not sure:

=IF([@[Wattage (bulb)- Number Value Only]]=0,"", IF([@[Wattage (bulb)- Number Value Only]]>=33,"T12","T8"),IF(LEFT([@[Baseline Action Code]],1)="M"(""))

Thank you very much for all the help

Upvote 0
Try this:
Code:
=[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]IF(LEFT([@[Baseline Action Code]],1)="M",[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]IF([@[Wattage (bulb)- Number Value Only]]=0,"", IF([@[Wattage (bulb)- Number Value Only]]>=33,"T12","T8")),"")

Upvote 0
Thank you for this. The only thing about that code line is that it only lists "T12" or "T8" values if the Baseline Action Code starts with an "M". I want it to populate everything but the cells that start with an "M". There are "S" "W" "I" "T" "C" values in the Baseline Action Code that I want to list values for while ignoring any that start with an "M".
I hope that makes sense, let me know if I need to clarify.
Thanks!

Upvote 0
Hi, below should work, tried replying you on mail but your mailbox is full and gave an error

Code:
=IF(LEFT([@[Baseline Action Code]],1)<>"M",IF([@[Wattage (bulb)- Number Value Only]]=0,"", IF([@[Wattage (bulb)- Number Value Only]=]=>=33,"T12","T8")),"")

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Glad was able to help and thank you for the feedback :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peppernaut

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back