Thread: How to change dynamically excel external file name change daily as the date
Thanks Thanks: 0 Likes Likes: 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How to change dynamically excel external file name change daily as the date

Hi all,
    I am a beginner to this technology VBA Excel.

I faced a problem in the project

• Read an external file and look for a Specific String (This external file name will change daily – as the Date – which will be part of the file name – will be dynamic)
    • Return a Value from the 8th Column for the Matching Text

When I try to hardcode the file name (with the Date) – there is a Value returned.

But when the file name is Dynamic (such as Today() – 1 etc.), then the function does not work.

See more details below:

• I am looking for a DYNAMIC Value in the Quoted/RED highlighted area in the function below:

• =IF(FileExists(),VLOOKUP("NET EFFECT ON TRIAL BALANCE",'\\internal-de1\DE-PHS-Collections\DB\Processing_Summary\[PROC_SUMMARY_DB_DLY_
      .xlsx]DB Processing_Summary_Report'!$A$4:$H$40,8,FALSE),2)

• I am looking for the TEXT Match for “NET EFFECT ON TRIAL BALANCE” within the file – and then returning a Total Value (the Net Balance) as a result.
    • I am trying to have the FILENAME (Date) – Highlighted in Quoted/RED above – change on a Daily basis!

----Thank you to all

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: How to change dynamically excel external file name change daily as the date

You need this to replace the red bit:
    Code:
    &TEXT(TODAY(),"yyyymmdd")&
    So, the whole thing would be:
    Code:
    =IF(FileExists(),VLOOKUP("NET EFFECT ON TRIAL BALANCE",'\\internal-de1\DE-PHS-Collections\DB\Processing_Summary\[PROC_SUMMARY_DB_DLY_"&TEXT(TODAY(),"yyyymmdd")&".xlsx]DB Processing_Summary_Report'!$A$4:$H$40,8,FALSE),2)
    Last edited by jmacleary; Sep 19th, 2019 at 05:17 AM.
    If my answer has helped, please vote using the Thanks or Like buttons on the left.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: How to change dynamically excel external file name change daily as the date

Thank you for you reply

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you Jmacleary for your response.

But what I am looking exactly is I have 2 excel file(Book1.xls and 2. Proc_summary_DB_Dly_20190918.xlsx under that DB Processing_Summary_Report there) Now i trying to display the value presented in Proc_summary_DB_Dly_20190918.xlsx file have a row contain "NET EFFECT ON TRIAL BALANCE" and in that row in 8 column contain value, the value that i want to return in Book1.xls file. The function i wrote for this is
    =IF(FileExists(),VLOOKUP("NET EFFECT ON TRIAL BALANCE", CONCATENATE("'", "\\internal-de1\DE-PHS-Collections\DB\Processing_Summary\[PROC_SUMMARY_DB_DLY_"&TEXT(TODAY()-1,"YYYYMMDD")&".xlsx]DB Processing_Summary_Report", "'","!$A$4:$H$40"),8,FALSE),2)

I have a problem with single quotations when i am using the evaluate formula under formula tab

Can you help me if you understand the problem.

Thanks

Some videos you may like

User Tag List