Font for form control changes size on focus

ancientfrog

I have some activex controls on a worksheet and I have noticed some odd behavior. Occasionally, the font size for these controls will change size (sometimes bigger, sometimes smaller) whenever my users click on the control. This is happening in labels, text boxes and buttons.

I've searched the net and found one useful posting that this behavior can be related to the control format properties for moving and sizing with cells. That doesn't seem to be the case here. This behavior occurs regardless of the object position settings.

Anyone have any advice, this "bug" is causing me to constantly edit the control, as the font will return to normal if I resize the control.

Issue is in Excel 2003 on Windows XP OS.

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
I have some activex controls on a worksheet and I have noticed some odd behavior. Occasionally, the font size for these controls will change size (sometimes bigger, sometimes smaller) whenever my users click on the control. This is happening in labels, text boxes and buttons.

I've searched the net and found one useful posting that this behavior can be related to the control format properties for moving and sizing with cells. That doesn't seem to be the case here. This behavior occurs regardless of the object position settings.

Anyone have any advice, this "bug" is causing me to constantly edit the control, as the font will return to normal if I resize the control.

Issue is in Excel 2003 on Windows XP OS.

Thanks!

Limited experience with this so I hate to speculate but there doesn't seem to be many replies to this bug that I've seen so I thought I'd throw this out there. Just be aware that I haven't had the time to confirm any of this 100%

I started seeing this effect only after grouping controls. I later noticed that the group itself has it's own set of properties which include size/position and from what I can tell it defaults to change both. You can right click on the group border (outer most outline) to see group's format controls. Also if you stretch a group border it will stretch all controls regardless of their individual settings. Most of the group settings appear to be inactive which includes the auto-fit (text?) so I don't know if it defaults to use auto-fit for the group as well. It makes sense that a group would have a single set of rules for the group to avoid conflicts/ease of use though.

The font my controls change to is Arial Narrow which I've chosen for some cells/controls that format percent in order to allow room for the extra digit when @ 100.0% (Excel please get rid of the decimal when 100%). For this reason I'm guessing that auto-fit chooses from both fonts in use and size in order to get a fit since Arial Narrow would take the least space.

-trying to change the controls properties or editing the text won't change the font/size.
-From other posts, it appears VBA changing font will no longer work while bug is in effect.
-I do know that manually re-sizing individual controls corrects the font to that selected by the control and assume it fixes it for other methods of property changes as well.
-I believe it's an ActiveX issue only and I'm not sure if form controls can even change font.
-I'm hoping that once you're done moving things around and lock them down it's no longer an issue.

Sorry my time budget can't afford this tangent issue to confirm what I'm assuming to be the case for now. Perhaps someone else can verify.
-

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've seen an odd behavior in Excel 2003 on WinXP where a column of control buttons with "move and resize with cells" set wouldn't resize with cells, but if the column was manualy resized, they would begin to resize (though not exactly to the size of the cell). I found that resizing the column (.Width +1, then .Width -1) via vba accomplished the same thing as manually resizing. I don't know if that would help with the font issue, but it's worth a shot.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back