How to overcome the "Formula too long" error on windows excel...

puppykak

Board Regular
I have worked on this really difficult long formula, but the problem is, I have been working from my Mac. And my office, which this formula was made for, is all PC. Now generally this isn't a problem, but apparently PC's have a limit on how long the formula can be. Is there anyway to overcome this? I really need this formula to work..

Please help!

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
=
IF(B3="Company 1", VLOOKUP(B15,'[Outside Excel Document.xls]Sheet1'!$A$8:$I$11,2,FALSE),"")&
IF(B3="Company 2", VLOOKUP(B15,'[Outside Excel Document.xls]Sheet1'!$A$8:$I$11,3,FALSE),"")&
IF(B3="Company 3", VLOOKUP(B15,'[Outside Excel Document.xls]Sheet1'!$A$8:$I$11,4,FALSE),"")&
IF(B3="Company 4", VLOOKUP(B15,'[Outside Excel Document.xls]Sheet1'!$A$8:$I$11,5,FALSE),"")&
IF(B3="Company 5", VLOOKUP(B15,'[Outside Excel Document.xls]Sheet1'!$A$8:$I$11,6,FALSE),"")&
IF(B3="Company 6", VLOOKUP(B15,'[Outside Excel Document.xls]Sheet1'!$A$8:$I$11,7,FALSE),"")&
IF(B3="Company 7", VLOOKUP(B15,'[Outside Excel Document.xls]Sheet1'!$A$8:$I$11,8,FALSE),"")&
IF(B3="Company 8", VLOOKUP(B15,'[Outside Excel Document.xls]Sheet1'!$A$8:$I$11,9,FALSE),"")

Upvote 0
...the same one we've been working on...

the issue is, when the outside excel document is entered in the actual one, it has to trace the document to where it lives in the server. So it gets really long....

Upvote 0
Have you considered using Index_Match? Might need to reargae you data some, but surely it's better. BTW, I'm not familar with Excel on the Mac, but I don't know what the &s are for in your formula. My guess is you are not concatenating. What does your data table look like.

lenze

Upvote 0
excelpic7.png

this is the outside document:
ExcelPic2.png

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
again, leaving work...won't be back till Monday, but I will check back here this weekend at home. thank you.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back