Simple Query Error

ronquart

I am creating a simple query on one table and I keep getting "The setting you entered isn't valid for this property." error message. After I click OK the query seems to run properly. I can't figure out what I am doing wrong....

I have Field: Rates.*
and Table: Rates

and Field: File_Number
and Table Rates

listed and the Show: box is checked on the Rates.* column

and Criteria: 743 under the File_Number with the Show box not checked.

I tried to post a screenshot but I don't have permission to post an attachment....

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

Ron

I ran the query and there is nothing unusual about any of the entries. The table opens without any errors. I think I will give up at this point. I will just get the error message and then let it run. Thanks for your time and effort.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
Okay. The only thought that comes to mind is that you are querying another type of database from Access (such as SQL server or Oracle) or the database is located in the cloud, and the error is related to connection settings. Basically because I've never seen this error before and can't think of anything it would come from in an MSAccess-only situation.

Upvote 0
I know you can get this error when using Access on non-Access tables when there is a "mis-match" between one or more source table fields data type and how it is being handled by Access. If you want to know which field(s) is the problem, create a copy of the query and delete one field and run it. Continue deleting and retesting until the error stops. My money would be on an email field that you're pulling in by using the table field wildcard *. If you don't need the problem field, don't use the wildcard. Once you know what the problem field is, you might be able to coerce the query data type to suit the source. You shouldn't ignore such messages just because something seems to work. May be OK today but not tomorrow. Or looks OK today but the data might go wonky tomorrow.

Upvote 0
Micron,
I tried your solution and I was able to run it without any errors. As I was adding the parameters I noticed that there are only 12 columns available for the query and my table had 17 columns. Once I limited the query to the 12 columns I no longer got the error message. Thanks!
Ron

Upvote 0
I really think the issue was some sort of incompatibility between Access and your sql tables. If not an email field then perhaps a memo/ long text one. Pulling in 17 fields but using less shouldn't be a problem. Glad you solved it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back