advance countifs

End3r

Hello,

i am having trouble getting my formula to work properly.

=COUNTIFS(table_name_first_table[tablerow_name)];"*";table_name_first_table[tablerow_name)];"name";tablename[tableRow_description];"*new*")

So, i want to count how many times name of the person shows up given two criterias. First criteria is "name". Second criteria is that i need the word "new" to appear in row "description". And this works perfectly but i also have another row where i do same counting but for word "old". This description can have, due to history of description both "new" and "old" and i need to count only the first one that appears. So, in table row "new" if you first get to the word "old" then count 0, otherwise 1. If in the row "old" if the first word is "new" then count 0, otherwise count 1.

Thanks for all your help !

E

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
Re: advance countifs with a twist :)

Paste a comprehensive example of your data showing what you have and expected results.

Upvote 0

Ok you could use these:

=COUNTIFS(table1[Name],A2,table1[Description],"*nova*",table1[ID],"1*")
=SUM(COUNTIFS(table1[Name],A2,table1[Description],"*nova*",table1[ID],{"6*","8*"}))
=COUNTIFS(table1[Name],A2,table1[Description],"*retention*",table1[Description],"<>*nova*",table1[ID],"1*")
=SUM(COUNTIFS(table1[Name],A2,table1[Description],"*retention*",table1[Description],"<>*nova*",table1[ID],{"6*","8*"}))

If nova and retention are present in the cell then nova takes precendence. They now will not be counted in the retention column.

Upvote 0

Ok you could use these:

=COUNTIFS(table1[Name],A2,table1[Description],"*nova*",table1[ID],"1*")
=SUM(COUNTIFS(table1[Name],A2,table1[Description],"*nova*",table1[ID],{"6*","8*"}))
=COUNTIFS(table1[Name],A2,table1[Description],"*retention*",table1[Description],"<>*nova*",table1[ID],"1*")
=SUM(COUNTIFS(table1[Name],A2,table1[Description],"*retention*",table1[Description],"<>*nova*",table1[ID],{"6*","8*"}))

If nova and retention are present in the cell then nova takes precendence. They now will not be counted in the retention column.

Thanks alot. Much appriciated.

Problem I have with this is that i dont need "nova" to have precendence, precendence has something that is first mentioned. Being retention or nova. :)

E

Upvote 0

Expected value is that when "Description is checked" that it counts only 1 value and that is the first one that is mentioned. "nova" or "retention".
For example: in this text it should count only "nova" : Lorem ipsum nova dolor retention sit amet. in this one it should only count "retention": Lorem retention ipsum dolor nova sut amet.
Thanks for your help !
:)

What are the expected values?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

You have, shown partly:

Book1
ABC
1NameIDDescription
2John Smith8006982Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nova Pellentesque et dui lorem. Curabitur rhoncus arcu turpis, id tempus purus rutrum non.
3John Smith8007032Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nova Pellentesque et dui lorem. Curabitur rhoncus arcu turpis, id tempus purus rutrum non. Retention
4John Smith8007157Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Retention Pellentesque et dui lorem. Curabitur rhoncus arcu turpis, id tempus purus rutrum non. Nova
5John Smith8007316Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Retention Pellentesque et dui lorem. Curabitur rhoncus arcu turpis, id tempus purus rutrum non.
database

Book1
ABCDEFGH
12018Nova MobNova FixNova Mob + Fixretention Mobretention Fixretention Mob + FixTOTAL
2John Smith
3John Doe
matrix

Are we counting the occurrences of Nova Mob in database for John Smith?

Upvote 0

Ok, since they all start, in your example below, with number "8" they are all FIX.
Nova Mob in database start with number "1" and they have "Nova" in description as first word appearing between words "nova" and "retention".

so the count would be as follows :

ABCDEFGH
12018Nova MobNova FixNova Mob + Fixretention Mobretention Fixretention Mob + FixTOTAL
2John Smith22
3John Doe

<tbody>
</tbody>
matrix

You have, shown partly:

ABC
1NameIDDescription
2John Smith8006982Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nova Pellentesque et dui lorem. Curabitur rhoncus arcu turpis, id tempus purus rutrum non.
3John Smith8007032Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nova Pellentesque et dui lorem. Curabitur rhoncus arcu turpis, id tempus purus rutrum non. Retention
4John Smith8007157Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Retention Pellentesque et dui lorem. Curabitur rhoncus arcu turpis, id tempus purus rutrum non. Nova
5John Smith8007316Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Retention Pellentesque et dui lorem. Curabitur rhoncus arcu turpis, id tempus purus rutrum non.

<tbody>
</tbody>
database

ABCDEFGH
2John Smith
3John Doe

<tbody>
</tbody>
matrix

Are we counting the occurrences of Nova Mob in database for John Smith?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

1. You don't have to quote so extensively. I posted a portion of your data from the link you provided, so it's not my example.

2. I don't understand at all what this explanation means: "Nova Mob in database start with number "1" and they have "Nova" in description as first word appearing between words "nova" and "retention"." Would you just give the counts for the portion I have posted from your data? Note. I didn't see any nova mob in your database...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stevenciu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back