Advice for Excel integration

Giora G

Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
Hi,
I’ve started to work on a product that will have a deep integration with Excel with the following requirements.

1. Installation: A one-time installation of the Add-on across all Excel files on a user's machine.
  2. Tracking: The Add-on should adeptly track all user interactions within the spreadsheet, including cell updates, copy-pasting, format changes, and more, with the ability to store this data locally.
  3. Communication:The Add-on supports two-way communication with a backend service.
  4. UI Integration & Interactive Features: Incorporating a rich Excel right-pane copilot-like user interface; the add-on will be able to focus on specific areas within the spreadsheet, highlight cells, and interact with dynamic popups.
I’m wondering what Excel extensibility framework I should be using: VBA, JS, COM or .NET (or perhaps none of them fully support what I’m looking for). If anyone has experience or insights into which framework would be most appropriate for these requirements, I would greatly appreciate your guidance.

Thanks,
Giora

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
The tracking part has me worried. With that shear number of updates, it's going to bog Excel down very much. Not to mention, for each write, it will impede the users ability to copy and paste and undo. Are you suggesting that you want an Add-in to track the events from a different workbook. That's over my head; I would expect that to be built into the native workbook. Code can be created to store the data into other workbooks or text files.

Communication: I can't answer to that.

Interactive Features to support another workbook: Again, I don't know how an add-in is going to interface with the events on another workbook.

What your talking about is going to take a long time. Is this a testing tool or training tool? Sounds like big brother watching.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ikke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back