An Excel Project

Paffius

Hello,

I am trying to do a project that is based in the analysis of stock quotes over several years. However I have a few questions and I hope you can help me.

The project

I want to analyze how certain stocks behave between specific dates, i.e, what is the percentage growth or decay between those specific dates. We are talking about more than 300 different companies over a period of 25 years. I am planning in getting the data from Yahoo finance, namely over the historical quotes options (where i can download the data). For exemple, for a stock like Microsoft, at some point i want to know what was the percentage change in the quote between the initial date of January 5th 1986 and October 2nd 1988.

The problems

The first problem is that i want to do the above study for several different date intervals and for all the 300+ companies in the exact same intervals.

1. When I download the individual data from Yahoo finance for all the companies, must i put it in 300+ different cheats within the same excel page? Or is there na easier alternative?

2. Is there a way to create a pivot table where i can reunite all the data from all the years and all the companies, and then i can analyze for each specific period how all the companies behave in terms of percentage chance?

3. If so, how can I automatize this so I don't need to create all the formulas for each specific company?

4. Is there a way to atribute a tittle to each of these periods (for example, between January 5th 1986 and October 2nd 1988 - imagine i can cal it Period 1) so I don't need to choose these dates one by one, but just the title of them?

I know these are many questions, but I really would like some help, namely on how i can start all this and which are my best options in terms of excel possibilities to do it.

Thank you so much.

Another question:

With power query, are you also limited in the number of tables you can combine into one in excel? For example, combining multiple individual stock quotes tables into one table showing the date, closing price, sector and industry of all the companies?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
The row limit is well beyond Excel's 1 million+, not sure about tables. It is much better to keep all or as many tickers in the same table as possible, but if you must download individually, then combine whatever you can into one and repeat.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back