Any way to tell Excel to disregard all other calculation processes EXCEPT a certain one (or at least give priority to the newest one)?

d0rian

Office Version
  1. 365
My file uses an API to pull in 500+ streaming stock-quotes -- once the connection has been established and they're being pulled in, they update rather quickly BUT the initial API call to the stock data provider's service often takes over a minute...I suspect it's because I've got a bunch of other calculations going on in the workbook (live sorting, INDEX/MATCH lookups, etc). Is there any way for me to tell Excel: "I want you to turn off all calculations in this workbook EXCEPT for those in range XYZ...or at least pause all others until this one's done processing? (I've tried setting Calculation to Manual (for the entire file), but it appears that the API call needs calculations on in order to pull in the stock quotes, so that doesn't help me with the initial population...)

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
You can disable/enable calculations per worksheet, would that help?
Code:
ActiveSheet.EnableCalculation = False

Upvote 0
Hm...possibly, I'll give it a try. But -- switching gears for a moment -- is there any way to give 'general guidance' to Excel to prioritize a certain process or calculation? I know that's a somewhat imprecise question, but I've read other threads that talk about giving Excel some kind of resource-priority as far as processes running on my computer...was wondering perhaps whether there was something similar, but more granular, that essentially identifies a certain Range or calculation-process within an Excel file and labels it "A #1 " / most-important / always give priority to this calculation. I doubt it, but struggling with how to keep the stock-pulling-in functionality of my file as the highest-priority process, because working with stale stock quotes (even just delayed by 5-10 seconds) is not good for me.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back