dwarek

Board Regular
Hello Everyone
I have been assigned a task to create a auto fill function. The task is I need to create a formula to search a particular alpha numeric word in a column and define how many times this word as appeared in that column. For example lets say a alpha numeric word called "MIKE1" in column A. In cell B2 I need to write a formula how many times "MIKE1" has appeared. So if this word as appeared 12 times in column A then I need the value 12 in cell B2. Can anyone help me out in this. Thanks in advance

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
Try
=COUNTIF(A:A,"Mike1")

Upvote 0
hey
Thank you It works fine and I have another question. I have a column with dates and I want to count cells filled with January. For example lets say in column B is filled with dates in DD/MM/YYYY format. Is there any way to find out how many cells are filled for particular month for example in Jan ?
Thank you so much in advance

Upvote 0
Something like
=SUMPRODUCT(--(MONTH(B2:B18)=1))

Upvote 0
Works for me, are you sure that your dates are real dates, not text.

Upvote 0
The point is I have same date for different cells for example 21/01/2019 is from B10 to B15 so it should not count as duplicate

Upvote 0
Double check your dates, if you are getting #Value! it's probably because you have text in the range

Last edited:
Upvote 0
hey
it works now but it gets the value of the empty cell as well, any idea how to resolve this ?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abdahsankhan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back