Auto-Insert new row in Table?

Vintage79

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello All,

I am using tables in my spreadsheet. When I enter new data, a new row is automatically created in each table - which is great. However, it does not insert a new row in the worksheet - so everything below my table does not get moved down the page. Is there a way of inserting a whole row each time new information is entered, rather than just a new table row?

Thank you! :)

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
Best I could think of., obviously where I have <8 you want to put the number of rows you want to see in the gap +1

code goes in the worksheet not a module
Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)

Dim x As Long
Dim y As Long

If Target.Column = 1 Then
        x = Cells(1, 1).End(xlDown).Row
        y = Cells(1, 1).End(xlDown).End(xlDown).Row
            If y - x < 8 Then
                Cells(x, 1).Offset(1, 0).EntireRow.Insert
            End If
    End If

End Sub

Upvote 0
Thanks for helping Dryver.

I haven't used VBA for so long that I'm out of touch!! I was hoping that there would be a simple setting for this change.

However, I still want to try your suggestion...Do we need to specify what Target.Column is first? I tried this formula but nothing happened. I seem to remember being able to step through code with F8, but that didn't work either. :) I did enter the code into the sheet, not a module.

To clarify - the first table begins at B4 and ends at N5. There is data above and below the table. A new table row (row6) will be created by entering data in D6.

Thanks again for the help!

Upvote 0
Just saw your answer.

Where did you get a result from, if it was another site, I'd be keen to learn what was done differently

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oh right.

I am struggling to understand your problem, if the table starts in B then why is info being entered in D?

I could change this to column D IE target column = 4 but you say there is something above the table as well, I need to understand that better

Upvote 0
The table goes from B to N, but the user is not required to enter text in every cell. The cells in columns B and C are auto filled with formulas, so the first place a user will type, when they are putting a new entry into the table, will be in column D.

The first three rows contain the title of the sheet, company logos etc.

So, row 4 contains the table headers, and row 5 is the first entry of data into the table.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
ok give this a try

This assumes there is something in column D below the table if not I need to know where something is.

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)

Dim x As Long
Dim y As Long

If Target.Column = 4 Then
        x = Cells(4, 4).End(xlDown).Row
        y = Cells(4, 4).End(xlDown).End(xlDown).Row
            If y - x < 8 Then
                Cells(x, 4).Offset(1, 0).EntireRow.Insert
            End If
    End If

End Sub

Upvote 0
Brilliant! Thanks for that - it works perfectly, and doesn't even interfere with displaying the table total row if needed.

I don't know why I am not able to step through the code using F8 and having the locals window open, so that I can see the values that get assigned to x & y. This would help me understand it better, as I'm curious to learn how it works!

Thanks again, you've realy helped!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ExcelfromGermany

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back