Auto populate a field using a VLOOKUP

jrudge

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum but I have had an issue that I have been trying to find a work around for a while now.

I have a drop down with a list of people on our teams initials.

I want to develop a way that when people select their initials (any of the ones on the Defined Name) the cell to the right shows confirmation of them checking the work.

Initially I used a Check box with linked cell formula using IF statements to indicate when to tick the box. The issue with this was that I had to lock the cells and protect the sheet to make sure people didn't tick the box manually and mess up the formula.

I decided to abolish this as protecting the sheet created to many restrictions when running in a shared workbook ie moving and deleting rows and Data Sorting.

So, what I would like nowis a "Checked" Column to the right of the "Initials" column whereby when any of the given initials are selected one of the following to things happens:

1. A tick mark appears in the "Checked" column to the right
2. The text "Yes" appears there instead.

I think I need to put a VLOOKUP in the "Checked" column to say that if any of the Defined Initials are inputted in the Initials column please enter "YES" (or a tick).

Can anyone help me with the formula for this and if so is there a way to lock the formula into the cells so noone can ammend, without protecting the sheet!

I did see some coding where you can lock specific cells (and it moved you to the right cell) without locking the sheet so I may try this method once I have formula.

Please see below my example

And the data sheet with the two defined names

Thanks guys

James

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
Re: Auto populate a field using a VLOOKUP question

Not saying I'll answer this but

You cant attach files on this forum. There are tools on this forum for adding small spreadsheet images

https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/about-board/508133-attachments.html

Or upload the file to an online storage site and post a link to it, though some people may not download the file for fear of viruses.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andile

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back