Button without VBA

paulglad

Hi there,
I am trying to create a multi platform, multi version compatible sheet. i.e. no VBA in Excel 2008 for Mac. So I need to do things with out VBA.

I need to create a 'paste values' button contained in the sheet i.e. either a form button or a shape/image that triggdrs the function on click - maybe a hyperlink to the built in paste values function.

It really feels like there should be a way as there is obvious hyperlink functionality - so why not just link to the internal function... or something like that. Obviously I have tried and am either missing something obvious or am barking up the wrong tree. Does anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks,
Paul

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
Re: Button with out VBA

Welcome to the Board!

Unfortunately it's not going to happen without VBA.

Your best bet might be to give users some instructions on how to perform those tasks. Or make an input scenario that eliminates the need to paste values, and mabye looking at using worksheet protection to keep data from being overwritten.

Upvote 0
Thanks Smitty, I thought someone might say that! I need to protect the conditional formatting, while making the cells accept paste - Any way to protect that?

Upvote 0
A CUTE SOLUTION!

right so standard paste overwrites conditional formatting etc. in the destination cell.

BUT!

if you are pasting into merged cells (i.e. 2 cells merged as 1) for what ever reason the conditional formatting remains in place.

This works on Excel 2008 for Mac (no VBA support) I would be really interested if anyone could try this with other versions on a PC - as it may solve a lot of problems for many if this is a standard response from excel.

Smitty please move this post appropriately if it is in the wrong place - or let me know where to put it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back