Can conflicts/errors occur by simply making copies of a macro-enabled Workbook?

nej12

Hello,
Say I have a macro-enabled workbook and I manually go to the file folder and make a copy of it (not with VBA), just simply make a copy.

The workbook is of course renamed with a whole new file name. The reason I am doing this is because I want to re-use the macros in it, and I am only changing some information on the worksheets.

So, assume, the macros work just fine in both workbooks. Is it necessary to rename the macros, giving them unique names?

I also have no reason to have or use both workbooks at the same time, but in the event I leave one open by accident, would something bad happen if the macros remained with the same names?

I have made copies of workbooks before, and for some reason "I think" I can feel or get a sense of something that isn't smooth.
It's like they say about "cloning" they look the same but the personalities most likely will be different LOL.

Is it me, or is something strange occuring?

I thank you in advance.

- Nej

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
In general, if the macros are properly coded then copying your workbook to a new file and renaming it should not be a problem, and your macros should work the same in the renamed workbook as they did in the original. You should not have to rename the macros, and you should be able to have both workbooks open and run the macros in each without affecting the other workbook. However, if you have hard-coded the specific workbook name into any of your macros, then you could run into trouble if the workbook is copied & renamed.

Upvote 0
Solution
Thank you rlv01 that is reassuring. I will double check that I didn't hard code the workbook name anywhere, I'm pretty sure I didn't. Thanks for taking the time to review my question. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ylsteve

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back