Can New Sheet Keep Formatting of Current Sheet?

mike2227

Hello,

I am wondering if it possible (and if so, how) to keep formatting when creating a new worksheet in excel, similar to a template. For example, I have a sheet with a photo, text, and column headers that I want to keep on all worksheets within this workbook. Ideally, I would like to click on "New Sheet" and have it open a new sheet with this information on it already. Then the user only needs to fill out the fields, rather than copy and pasting all the header information.

I am not sure if this is even possible. Please advise either way.

Thank you in advance for your help.

- Mike

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
Yes this is straight forward.

Manually you would select all cells on the source sheet

Then on the destination sheet you can click the little arrow under 'Paste' on the 'Clipboard' section of the Home tab. Then select 'PasteSpecial' then select 'Formats'

This will only paste the formatting, ignoring any values.

Upvote 0
If it is a regular occurrence, you canmake your document a single sheet document then goto File>Save as> Template (xltm)

Give it a name and save in the default location.

Then when you open a different workbook you can right-click a tab name and choose "Insert", you should see the template you created, listed there. It will insert that into your current workbook

Upvote 0
Thanks Gallen, that does make the process easier. I was hoping for something more automatic though. Like if I save it as a template if there is a way to have the information auto-populate when I create a new sheet. That would be best.

Upvote 0
That sounds better, but I can't seem to find it. I created a new document with just the headers and what I want to be on each sheet and saved it as a template. Then when i create a new sheet, right click, and click insert, I see the stock templates but not the one I just made. I saved and closed the template before trying this.

Upvote 0
That's weird. What version of Office are you using?

When you change the document type to template, does it automatically change the location of the save? (It should do, to something likeC:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates)

Then anything in that folder should show when you click 'insert' after right-clicking a tab name.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Afua

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back