Can't find project or library - can't access references to check any missing

dancing-shadow

Hi - I have a weird issue and I can't work out how on earth to fix it...

I have a reporting template file that should have no vba code - it is accessed by another separate workbooks vba code (opens the template, adds some raw data into it, saves and closes it). Yesterday this was working as expected, but today it's giving me the error that it can't find project or library, and if I try to save the file (either save or saveas) the whole thing throws a fit and crashes - leaving me with a recovered version of my template without any formatting/formula/etc. The other workbook with the vba code also opens up other template files - all of which are working fine with no errors.

On troubleshooting, I've found this template workbook does actually include a 'Module 1' project, but I cannot access it to see what code is in it. I tried deleting it and re-saving the file, but get the same error. I also can't access any of the sheet specific vba code (they should all be empty, but I can't check).
I found various 'solutions' around The Web telling me to go to Tools > References and check for anything labelled as 'missing' - however when I click 'References' nothing happens - no window appears. I tried this with another workbook and clicking 'References' does indeed bring up the required window, and there are no 'MISSING' entries, so I can only assume the issue is contained within one specific file. To recreate this file would take at least a couple of weeks though, so I'm trying to fix/repair it as a first option!

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
Open the template manually & then try saving it as an .xlsx

Upvote 0
If you disable all macros and then open the template, can you then access any of the code? If not, what exactly happens when you try? It's not entirely clear from this comment:
I also can't access any of the sheet specific vba code

Upvote 0
Saving it as an .xlsx throws up the error that errors were detected and asking to continue or cancel making repairs. The repairs remove all formula and formatting, and most of the sheets are completely blank altogether.

Sheet specific code as in the sheet modules under 'Microsoft Excel Objects', not the separate modules listed under 'Modules'. Apologies, I don't know the correct term for them!

Tried disabling macros and opened the file, removed the rogue module and managed to save the file. This appears to have resolved the issue! Will bear that in mind next time it happens, so thank you :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grantrob

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back