Cells fill color apparently disappears (only on pre-existing files)

niko333c

Hello everybody,

this is new!

You know, sometimes Excel feels a little nostalgia of those moments when he drives you nuts, and decides to reiterate.

What about this time?

Since yesterday he decided to not to show cells fill color anymore, but!

• Only if you open pre-existing Excel files. If you create a new one, he shows you all the colors you want
• As soon as you open whatever pre-existing Excel file, the first fraction of a second it shows the colors of the cells, but then the color immediately disappear and the cells become white
• If you right click properties fill on any cell, it shows the preview of the color of the cell fill correctly in the window, but not in the real cell
• Sometimes, for example if you mouse-scroll, all the cells that are supposed to be colored (but appear white), became all completely black
• If you try to re-set the color of the cell or change color, for a fraction of a second it shows the color of the cell fill (just when you click on the color icon on the toolbar), but then the color of the cell fill immediately disappears and becomes white
• Other cells are fine, for example the header line of the table, which fill is light purple. Blue or yellow cells? Forget it!
• You can do whatever you want, even smash your head on the screen repeatedly :oops: the cells stay white

All other Windows colors are fine, MS Word colors are fine, even new Excel files' cells' filling colors are fine.

Any clue of what spirit just possessed it?

Thank you.

Last edited:
I couldn't modify the initial post as it's only allowed for 10 minutes (!! by the way why???).

So that people don't go changing the original question, thereby making follow up posts or questions meaningless.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
Yes. We tried more files. All existing workbooks, all colors: all cells backgrounds appear white but they should be colored.

Only if we create a brand new workbook and color a cell, it becomes colored and remains so.

Calling an exorcist?

Upvote 0
Hmm... have you tried turning it off, then turning it back on again? :confused:

Has your PC switched power supply to be powered by the influence of a grumpy cat?

... wait, did you recently insult Bill Gates in public?

Can you give us a screenshot without giving out confidential data?

Upvote 0
Actually, a more sensible answer...

Do the existing workbooks get updated by Business Intelligence software that produces Crystal reports exported as Excel sheets? I used to have an issue in my old business where Crystal reports would import into Excel with some bonkers formatting and I could never get it fixed.

Upvote 0
Wow, I don't know what that Crystal thing is!

LOL, it's always cats when something is messed up! :D

Yes the computer was restarted already. It started acting since yesterday.

It seems like ONE excel file is NOT being affected by the issue, and we can see all the colors of all the cells.

Attaching screenshots:

see comments on each one.

HOW do I attach the JPEGs??

Ah I see your point with the 10 minutes modification policy. Then developers should add a function to only add update sections to the original post, without being able to modify the post already written. What about it?

Upvote 0
I notice you skipped over insulting Bill Gates in public... we can safely assume that's the problem. :p

To attach images you need to host them somewhere; there are hundreds of sites that offer free hosting. Then you just hit the insert image button and drop in the image URL.

Are the squiffy workbooks in an older file format, or touched by any other spreadsheet program?

Upvote 0
Bottom right corner, switch to Normal view rather than Page Layout... see if that makes any difference? A quick Google shows a few people having issues with Page Layout view screwing things up.

p.s. Love the paint skillz.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
LOL thanks! How did you know I used paint? :ROFLMAO:

That's good idea thanks! However, for months until 2 days ago there were no problems.... Let's see....

WOW IT WORKS!!!

Thanks so much!!!!!

Love the google skills... curiosity: do you remember exactly what keywords did you google for such a thing?

Thanks

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwdbActuary

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back