Chart Dates Out of Order

Jer Maine

Good day, I am attempting to chart weekly data in the form of a bar chart. My data is in Power Pivot. I am using a Date Table linked to my Fact table on a field called DateInt which is a column of each day of the year formatted as an integer. The other column, WeekBeginning, is the beginning day of the that week formatted as a date.

My chart is sorting dates on the horizontal axis by the first number in the day of the month instead of actual date as follows:
5/27/2018 --- 6/10/2018 --- 6/17/2018 --- 6/24/2018 --- 6/3/2018

I have tried sorting the Pivot Chart field A to Z and by Data Source Order. Neither have worked. I have tried changing the Axis options axis type setting to Text and to Date Axis. Same result.

The sort does work correctly when I format the source data column as "General" instead of "Short Date". But I don't want to display the dates as:
43247 --- 43254 --- 43261 --- 43268 --- 43275

Any ideas? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
Have you tried setting the format to year month day and then sort it?

Okay, that does appear to be working. I've got my beginning day of the week column formatted like 20180625 for June 25, 2018 and so on. For whatever reason, though, the labels on the chart are formatted like 6/25/2018. I'd like them to be 6/25/18. The settings are being extremely finicky and don't appear to do anything even though I specified in Format Axis / Number / Category = Date and Type = 3/14/12. I also set Axis Type to Date axis.

Shouldn't that format it to the 6/25/18 style.

Thanks for your help!

Upvote 0
Somewhere in the axis formatting you can set the date and number formats at will. It might differ a little depending on the Office version you're using, you'll get there :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mm424

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back